Breastfeeding and pain meds.....

I am taking the generic for percocet...Yes I am breastfeeding! There is no way I can not take something. I had a minor surgery today and am in excruciating pain. To the point where I cant even hold my son to burp him..Or reach over to hold my breast to latch him..I have to have someone else help me(my mom)..

My question is...If you have taken Percocet OR vicodin while breastfeeding, what dosage were you on and how often could you take it? The reason I ask is I believe the pharmacy messed up my dosage but they are closed now..I will be calling tomorrow to find out though...

Thanks!

tiger_tatted1

Asked by tiger_tatted1 at 9:40 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I believe the max dosage for oxycodone in nursing mothers is 30 mg per day. The max aceteminiphen dose for anyone is I believe 4000mg per day. I also believe it's every 4-6 hours as needed for percocet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• you can take narcotics and breast feed-- I would just advise you increase your water an extra 10 ounces/day and make sure someone (like dh) is around to keep an eye on baby-- I WOULD NOT CO SLEEP while on a narcotic for pain or bf if someone else was not around to check on the baby when you fall asleep
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:53 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I was on Percocet after my c-sections and breastfeeding. I dont have the bottle anymore but I want to say my dose was either 5 or 10mg. Does this sound right? I just cant remember. I took them every 4-6 hours as needed. Usually I used Ibuprofen in between too.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 10:06 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• thanks...
    tiger_tatted1

Comment by tiger_tatted1 (original poster) at 12:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree with the PP's.....relax, heal and enjoy your baby!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010