What foods should a mom, working or not, be allowed to buy if she has underaged children?

Sorry...have to ask this in response to the gov't assistance question. Given the epidemic of childhood obesity across race/income lines, should moms (and dads) be required by law to provide only nutritious food to their children?

profmom922

Asked by profmom922 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I think we need to hold the FDA to higher standerds when it comes to what is allowed to be put into our foods. When you learn what a lot of the preservatives, artificial, and "natural" things that are now being put in our food it's disturbing. The responsisbility is for every person to be educated about what is in the food we eat especially the pre packaged convenience food. I think that maybe food bundles would work better. Filled with lean meats, fresh produce, everything you need for a months worth. Go pick it up once a week so you always have fresh fruit and veggies.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• You do know this a free country, right? As a mother I have the right to buy what ever food I want to! I feed my children well, and as balanced a diet as humanly possible... That would be part of my Freedom!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I believe she was asking on those that purchase their food off of goverment assistance such as food stamps at leas that's what I based my answer on.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 10:37 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• You know some people have disorders that cause obesity. My dd just suddenly started putting on weight. I took her to an endocrinologist and she has insulin resistance, it causes her to have to eat a special diet and she still gains easily. You may not know all of the circumstances.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• It's not just about food, though, it's about proper exercise as well. Where did phys ed go in our schools? Then would we be allowed to only let them play video games a certain amount a day, a week? Read? Come on, people, think for yourselves. Educate yourselves and do what is best for you and your own.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• So would we have to set a limit on.. birthday cakes? Pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving? This is a free country? The children only get nutritious food? Mothers on WIC actually DO attend nutrition counseling... lots of it.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 10:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• The problem with this is that the best foods out there are the most expensive. I simply cannot go into say "Schnucks" and buy a cart load of fresh vegetables and meat... Therefore, I need to go to Aldi's and buy as much as I can that will last the longest... That being canned veges and whatever else I can find... I understand the question, but I do not think we can put limits on what kind of foods people use their assistance or whatever else on. TO BE CONT>
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:06 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That brings me to a story... When my kids were little, about 18 years ago... I was in line at Aldi's with a cart load of stuff... at that time you could only pay with cash.. So when I ran out of money, I had to start putting stuff back. Of course, I reached for the Apple Juice... (I also had soda in the cart) the lady looked at me and said, "Don't you dare put that Apple Juice back.. your child needs that, you put that soda back".. I then understood what this woman must see day in and out... I wasn't mad at her... She kind of woke me up! She was right. LOL!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Actually, I asked this question because of another question that asked why obese moms who use foodstamps buy junk food. Given the childhood obesity epidemic...whether you are rich or poor... I wondered if we should enforce standards on all parents, since we only seem to worry about what poor kids are being fed.
    profmom922

Answer by profmom922 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• This is a good question. Not sure how to answer but I do think that the standard should be higher.

KnoxvilleDoula: I was on WIC and never had to do nutrituous counseling.
    l.bicks

Answer by l.bicks at 11:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2008