Open flight tickets?

Here's the situation: My DH is at Fort Bragg right now, and it is pretty likely that he will be able to come home (to the Midwest) for a few days around Thanksgiving before being shipped overseas. The problem is until the leave is set in stone, they don't know what time they will be allowed to leave the base.
Now, every day we have to wait, the flights get more and more expensive, and we still don't know when they will make the announcement.
My question is, is there such a thing as open tickets? I know his return time limit, but the departure from the base could be a span over 24 hours, and he wants to come home ASAP.
Any advice?

MamaLion82007

Asked by MamaLion82007 at 10:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I would call the airline of your choice and ask what options they have since he is military. Also, if he can catch a cargo plane off base heading towards your area it might make the expense a little cheaper. Could be to where you can just go pick him up from whatever base they land on.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• southwest lets you cancel your tickets, or switch them really easily. my dad always has to shoot out places, so he can usually get a ticket quick from one he had to cancel previously.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2008