Have you ever had to tell your child to not be friends with someone?

Would you ever do that? What would make you make a choice like that?

seturkey

Asked by seturkey at 10:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• There are kids my kids won't play with because of their choice, not mine. They tell me: "So-and-so tried to beat up _____ (one or the other of them) and my girls stand up for each other every time! I taught them very early on that they stand up for each other and never ever let anyone hurt their sibling! Makes me proud when they tell me "I would NEVER let anyone hurt MY SISTER!" :)
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yes I have **hangs head in shame** this boy my son wanted to "hang" with just rubbed me the wrong way...I am glad I told my son not to socialize with him because he is in a detention center for $15000.00 in property damage...him and his other little friend caught a neighbors boat on fire while they were on vacation...it was sad but a relief it was not my son involved!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 11:04 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My husband told our 9yo son to stop playing with this 10yo boy that lives around the corner.  He was my son's first friend when we moved here but he was a trouble maker.  He came over one afternoon and in the 10 minutes he was here managed to slam a door into my 4yo's nose almost breaking it because they were all screwing around (he started it).  The week before that he picked up and threw my 10yo down in the street, skinning the side of her leg all up.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:15 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Sadly, yes. There is a boy down the street from us. The parental supervision is non-existent. He tried choking my son, killed a baby bunny, and called me a bitch. That was it, I was done. His older sister, who tries to come up and play with the girls next door is just as bad, she is 10 and hit on my neighbors husband. She wears shirts as dresses, and we've had to tell her it's inappropriate and to go home and change. Talking to other parents from school, if their kids have had any interaction with this family, they have always had problems.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If I feel that being friends with the other child will result in my child being exposed to potentially dangerous situations (drugs, sex etc) HELL YES, I would
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 7:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Being parents we should know whom our child friends and we should knows their background too.
    Geisha28

Answer by Geisha28 at 10:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My kids are all grown, but NO- i never told them they couldn't be friends with someone-
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• ds he has picked up some bad words from his friends, he will tell me so& so said it, i tell him its wrong& that because they say it doesnt mean that he can, but i have never told him to not be friends w/them
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 10:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Just yesterday I had to tell my 11 year old daughter she couldn't see a friend of hers outside of school anymore. The girl lives about a 40 minute walk from us and she is always in our neighborhood. I went to meet her mom because my daughter wanted to do a sleepover and she didn't seem interested in meeting. Other parents have told me that the girl is not allowed at their houses because she is a bad influence. And she called my daughter a bad name but my daughter said she was just playing. No one plays like that and I won't allow my daughter to play with her anymore.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• My dd is very sociable and she has been going to the same school since kinder. She had this one friend that lives on our street that has been at the same school since kinder to. Through out kinder and 1st grade anytime my dd would not play the same game w her friend or just didnt agree w the girl she wld stop being my dd friend. And she seemed to be the group leader to where others kids would stop being friends w my dd. So after 2 years (on and off) of this and my dd always coming home upset I finally stepped in. I talked w my dd the whole 2 yrs just never got involved. So I told my dd that a friend is a friend no matter what you dont hurt eachother of be mean and that she deserves better. I told her to tell this girl if it happens again that she will always make new friends and if she cant be a good friend than shes not interested. Their now in 3rd grade and have had no problem since 1st grade. kids can be crule!
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 10:46 PM on Oct. 6, 2010