? abouot renting

We rent a house and someone removed the gas meter off of it. The gas company said to have it put back on so we can have heat we will have to pay for it to be replaced. Shouldn't my landlord have to cover the cost of that. I haven't asked him about it yet, but shouldn't he have to have a means of heat?

myboogiewoogie

Asked by myboogiewoogie at 10:41 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in About CafeMom

• I would think that woud definately be a landlord issue.. If mine didn't replace it, I would be looking for something else to rent real fast! Call your local city government and ask them..
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 11:09 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• it probably depends on the state where you live. in california, there is a law that your landlord has to keep your place habitable,including making sure you can have heat. it does not, however, mean that the landlord has to pay for the heat. if that's part of your rental agreement that you have to pay for it, then you pay.

my interpretation would be that your landlord would have to pay to replace, since it's a matter of whether or not you can even have heat, not who is paying for the service.

if you live in a place where there is a tenant's rights union or something like that, they can help you figure out whether or not you have to pay to replace the meter.
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 11:02 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yes,,,Talk to him about it..The meter should have been on their when you moved in..Good luck

Answer by louise2 at 11:24 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yes, the landlord should pay for it to be replaced.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 11:40 AM on Oct. 25, 2008