No markers for Down syndrome on level 2 u/s...

Went for my level 2 u/s today and the doctor saw no markers for DS. Anyone go through this? Having no markers but then baby ending up with DS? My original risk from the blood screening was 1/67, changed to 1/140 after ultrasound results. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The blood tests are notorious for false positives. If you are really concerned, talk to your OB about an amniocentisis (sp?). That might give you an accurate answer. Good luck!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• If it makes you feel any better, with my second daughter my blood test was GREAT! I barely had any risk whatsoever, but when I had my Level II ultrasound they found 4 soft markers. I was scared to death because they had to repeat the ultrasound 8 weeks later and she still showed 1 marker on her heart, but the rest were gone. They repeated the u/s again and the marker was still there so they made me see a specialist, but guess what - SHE IS PERFECT!!!! Please don't worry about it. And, as far as getting an amnio, just weigh the risks before deciding on that. I completely understand the need to know because I felt the same way for a while, but in the end, I knew that I would never be able to live with myself if I ended up miscarrying. The test results wouldn't have mattered. Good Luck to you!!!!
    Patesmom

Answer by Patesmom at 11:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My youngest has Down syndrome which we discovered through the blood tests, reconfirmed with the u/s and even then decided to do an amnio. The amnio results were again positive, and we decided to find out at that time that we were having a girl.

Blood tests are notoriously unpredictable. If I were in your position I would do the amnio. We didn't do it with our older kids, but decided while doing the u/s so that we would know for sure. My anxiety level couldn't handle not knowing. Plus our older kids were 11 & 10 when I was pregnant and we all needed the time to research, pray and wrap around the idea of this "new child".

Please feel free to message me directly if you'd like.  God Bless You and your family. No matter what the results there is tons of support waiting for you.

MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 2:47 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Uh really I am biased to this question
    My aunt has downs and she is the sweetest thing
    I would say that if you're blood was okay and your u/s was good then I would say you are in the clear
    Amanda_82

Answer by Amanda_82 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010