My 8 month old is severely attached to me!!

My 8th month old cries when i sit him down even if he can see me or if hes just standing holding on to my leg. I can't do anything unless i hold him other wise he screams his head off until he gets sick or stops breathing! I have a son who just turned 2 that was attached to me but not nearly as bad he would let me put him down to play with toys as long as he could see me he was fine, but my youngest wont let me put him down for nothing! Any suggestions?

RileyMcNeal24

Asked by RileyMcNeal24 at 10:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Small steps. Sit on the floor with both babies, show them how cars run and what sounds they make, and then after they get to playing, stand up and clean up around the room. You're still nearby and if your baby cries, just talk to him or sing a song. He'll be fine, then when he calms down (even if it means sitting back down with your 2 yr old and playing until your 8 month old calms) you can reward his calmness by holding him.

Small steps.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 10:54 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• this is the age when they start forming the separation anxiety feeling the strongest. it is just a phase and it will pass, my DS is 9mo and it is VERY frustrating!!!!!!!! I just take him where ever I go and take toys. He sits in the kitchen with me while I cook and he will cry for a few seconds then start playing with the toys. He is also learning how to pull himself up, and my doc said that learning new things can create a "scary" environment and cause him to cry for protection and security.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 12:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I know it's frustrating, but it will pass. Nothing wrong with being a momma's boy! :)
    It's good that he wants to be with you. Consider it a learning tool for him. He'll watch and learn what it means to be a mommy. Set an early example of how a mom takes care of herself and others.

Good luck! The other comments were right on the mark! :)
    Anonymous

• My suggestion: hold him.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 1:17 AM on Oct. 27, 2008