Do you think you are a better parent...

than others you read or see? My sister thinks she is the Saint of Parenting when it comes to her children and she is not afraid to tell you what you are doing wrong. I finally stopped discussing my "parenting" issues with her and now she is telling the family that I need parenting classes... for what? I dont know. I asked her opinion about me possibly homeschooling my son and she went off on me saying I was going to make him a social outcast and possibly a mother-loving mass murderer O.o I lost it...
I am not a perfect Saintly parent but by darn I know my children and when they are not happy.

4_28_bbboy

Asked by 4_28_bbboy at 10:52 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok, I mean this in the nicest most loving way, but I'd tell your sister to go stick it where the sun don't shine and to stop being so judgMENTAL!! Everyone has their own way of parenting, and not everyone agrees with it. But I hate the ones who judge because their way is the "right" way and everyone else is wrong.
    bethanysmom1007

Answer by bethanysmom1007 at 10:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Nope. I am better in some areas then my friends and they are better in other areas. But all of our kids are good kids. So as long as you are not abusing your kid.... then I don't care :-).

There is more than one way to do everything.... including parenting!!!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 10:54 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Oh god no LOL.. I make mistakes daily. I over react, under react, don't say the right thing at the right time.. I could go on and on.. I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect parent.. I think for the most part, most of us do the best we can and love our children very much.. But it is very hard being pulled 100 different directions. I do know that parenting one child was soooo much easier than 3.. Bottom line, you have to do what is best for your child.. Is that homeschooling? IDK, Would switching schools help? IDK but you do...

I would call her and have a long talk with what she is saying and why and tell her to butt out.. Home schooled children are not as isolated as what people think IF it is done "right". No insult intended :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I do not think I am better in anyway..I just think that I have different parents skills/ values then others
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I work with a know it all parent. I love her but she is a pia.
    Anonymous

• 90% of the time i'm wrong and i admit it. as for the homeschooling, you know whats best for the children! the way the schools are going, i wish i had the money to do it for my girls.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have grown children, so I have the advantage of hindsight. But I really think every situation is unique. There are some things that you know are right and wrong, but most of parenting is a grey area. No matter what you do someone will think their way is better. Find some friends to discuss your parenting issues and stop talking to someone who thinks they are better than you.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Sounds about like my sister... she used to try to tell me how I should be raising my kids and living my life. I finally had to tell her to stop and stay out of my family's life. It was beyond ridiculous. I think everyone will raise their children the way they choose to... it is different when you ask questions bc only then do you want actual advice
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Its one thing to think you are a better parent. It is another thing to be a gossipy nag and try to tell other people what to do. I think I'm a better parent that some of the women I know in real life. But I don't tell them that. And I don't correct them. I might say, "oh, that is different from how we do it. I never thought of that."

Some family is for ignoring.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:11 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• That depends. I think I'm better than the mom who spends all her money on crack or the one who treats her children like shit. I think I'm better than that one teen mom on teen mom. Amber? I'm sooooo much better of a mom than her by far! I don't think I'm mother of the year but I do think I'm a pretty damn good, lovign and nurturing mom none-the-less.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 11:13 PM on Oct. 6, 2010