What are some things my 1 1/2 year old and I can do during the day without a car?

We are down to one car right now and my husband takes it to work 4 times a week. My daughter is 1 1/2 and going crazy with boredom...it makes me sad! I'm 6 months pregnant and dealing with back pain and fatigue, so it's not like I can just jump up and entertain her all day long. She is starting "the terrible two's" and really testing me. We are both frustrated, bored, and irritable all the time. I need some ideas of what the heck we can do! We live in a condo complex so we don't really have a neighborhood to walk around, or a park in walking distance, and no yard. Please help me before I snap!

allie.thatsme

Asked by allie.thatsme at 11:19 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How about playing some children's music and marching around or dancing? She won't care if you can't dance well and she will be using some of that energy.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Get out some masking tape from the $1 store and tape down a "city" and roads on the floor for her dolls or whatever to play on.
    Paint pumpkins on the windows for Fall
    read books (we check out something like 50-75 books from the library at a time)
    play follow the leader
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• scavenger hunt - you can have her find and fetch items around the house - easy or as hard as you make it - something yellow - something round - etc. good luck
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 11:28 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• these are all great. and now that you've said them i'm wondering why i didn't think of them, ha. guess i have preggie brain. any more suggestions would be appreciated!! i'm writing it all down:)
    allie.thatsme

Comment by allie.thatsme (original poster) at 11:32 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Read Stories, Play with play-dough, Play ball....roll it back and forth to each other or try and catch it, play hide and seek, can you have a play-date at your house?, Finger paint ( or is she to young?) Find new things to feel, smell, and taste...color, play blocks, play with a baby doll...I would still go out and walk around the parking lot..it will be good for both of you and may help your back feel better.:)
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• I have the same issue, besides my son is 2. Try teaching her some things. Like, numbers & how to count. Alphabet, and eventually how to spell small words like "cat". Colors. Shapes. I do it with my son, and it gives me something to show my husband when he gets home too, "Look what Brycen learned today!" It's fun and it helps my son also. Another thing you could do, is just play. Play dolls with her, or play with your pots & pans. Color, watch cartoons, there's tons of thing to do at home :) GL & have fun!
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Read to her, if she hear the same book often enough; she will one day picture read to you. If she is not potty trained u can teach her to count while on the potty. Let her help make cookies, she can put her hand print or finger print on the cookie.
    Potty training is the biggest thing since u have another on the way; it only takes two week if you stay on top of it. Every thirty minutes is the ticket. Color with your daughter that will teach her colors, if U do it with her she will stay more focused. She can learn to spell her name, learn her birthday--month -day -year.
    Ask someone in the gym about some exercise that u can do to help your back; and the two of you can exercise together also.
    My daughter is now 30 and she still remember when she wanted to sit on the counter to help me cook, wash dishes and put away groceries; she was two when this happen. Potty trained and off the bottle when she was 2 1/2
    KAHARRI10

Answer by KAHARRI10 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Craft projects, play dough, build with legos or blocks, make cookies, let her "do" your hair...my daughter loves that!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 7, 2010