I've been wondering: Going into labor/scheduling

So i'm due March 6th. Does it depend on your contractions on whether or not you drive to the hospital because you are or think you are in labor? Or does the doctor schedule a time and day before your actual due date for you to come in and see if your going to give birth on the next day... Do you just play it by ear? I haven't been to my actual babys doctor yet, its a few weeks away, but i just would like to know how it all works. :)

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 11:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it'll be clearer to you closer to your due date. i drove myself to the hospital 3 out of the 4 babies' I've had. I don't suggest it. With my 4th, I arrived at the hospital about 1 hour before baby came and my husband missed the birth. Make sure someone is with you when going to the hospital thinking you are in labor. Good luck on the rest of your pregnancy.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Most babies aren't born on the actual due date. That is just a guideline based on exactly 40 weeks from the first day of your last period. You won't go to the hospital to get checked out unless you are having contractions. They won't even want you to go to the hospital until your contractions are less than 5 minutes apart, but you will get all of this info once you start going to the doctor regularly.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 11:30 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• Your due date is an estimate. Healthy babies are born between 38-42 weeks gestation. So there is a month long window when you can have your baby.

The doctor will start to check you for dilation and effacement, but it means nothing. You can be pretty dilated and fully effaced and still have weeks to go before the baby is ready to come.

This is nature's way of preparing you for motherhood. Schedules are a thing of the past!

Arou d week 30 you will come up with your birth plan and logistics and you will come up with back up people to call in case you need them.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:36 PM on Oct. 6, 2010

• What they said. Get a Doula and attend some out of hospital childbirth classes. you'll love it!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Ok, look if you don't get contractions by your 41st week then de schedule an induccion let me tell u about IT'S NO FUN but hopefully you'll go on labor by your self!!!!!!
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010