What's the best way to clean babies ears?

The past 2 doctor visits I've been to with my 10 month old daughter, she has mentioned that the baby has alot of wax in her ears. I casually change the subject, but the truth is cleaning her ears makes me nervous and I don't know the best or safest way to do it. I'm way to embarresed to say that to her Dr...

cclvsj

Asked by cclvsj at 12:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think you should. if the DR says she has a lot of wax, ask HER to clean out the wax.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would just wipe the outside with a damp cloth. You aren't supposed to put anything inside the ear canal that s smaller than the tip of your finger. You can try a moist q-tip on the outside but not the inside.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 12:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• ENT
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I use a cotton swab on the outside part only. I rub a wash cloth over here ears in the bath. I don't stick anything inside.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Ive always been super careful w my dd's But since my 1st dd was a toddler she has had bad ear infections and is super sensitive when I try to clean her ears out. She will litterally cry before I even get the QTip close to her ear and she is now 8. My girls dd said to delute some peroxide and poor in ear and clean them w water after. And gently put QTip in. Now at the age my girls are at I can sit w them and let them gently let them do it their selves.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 12:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• jonsons q-tips...they have this bulb shaped cotton ball on it n it dont allow it to go too deep...even if baby moves.
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 2:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have never cleaned either of my kids ears with q-tips. I always just used a damp washcloth and gently swiped in their ear. They say not to use q-tips since it actually pushes the wax further into the ear and can cause more build up and possible ear infections.

Also, it's important to remember that some people are born with waxier ears than others and that doesn't mean anything in particular. It's just the way they were made :-) So I wouldn't worry about it too much. Next time the doctor makes a comment, ask them if you should be concerned or not. I'm sure they will tell you it's not a concern.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Use a warm damp washrag to wipe out the wax on the outside. Some warm oil (like olive oil) WARM, not hot dropped into the ear, should help too. I just dipped a q-tip into the oil, and got it saturated then let it drip into the ear canal. DO NOT put the q-tip into the ear.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2010