diastasis recti

I'm at 2 1/2 months postpartum as of now and when I lay down and contract my abdominals, I can still feel a small separation at the level of the belly button. Is it still ok for me to do ab work outs like crunches and such? It's a small separation, maybe a pink finger's width.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I JUST got home from a workshop for childbirth educators on this subject!
    Don't do crunches. They are will not help and they can weaken your pelvic floor. Do keagels (with emphasis on the relaxation) until your baby is born. As soon as baby is here get a support garment (like spanx) and wear it for 4-6 weeks. Recent studies have shown amazing results for healing diastasis if you use a binding/support garment immediately postpartum. Also postpartum, do "sit ups" sitting upright in a chair while holding your waist together with a scarf. You can also do side planks to help your abs.
    Hope this helps.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 12:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor. Mine told me before I left the hospital that there was no separation and that I was able to start a very light workout 2 weeks after birth.
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 12:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010