Homeschooling mommies...how do you stay sane?

Okay, any mommies who homeschool, I want your honest take. How do you stay patient with your kids and not go crazy from spending so much time at home?

I'm seriously considering homeschool once my daughter hits kindergarten age, but I'm worried it would be too much for me. I have been staying home with my girls for 3 years and right now I kind of love the couple hours break from my 3yo when she goes to preschool. So how do you avoid hitting overload?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, opinions, tips, etc!

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 12:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in

• I used to send my oldest two children (now adults) to school. I got to see them for a little while in the morning, then a few hours at night before bed. Now that I've homeschooled for over 10 years, I can't imagine WHY I would need a seven hour break from my kids 5 days a week. It's nicely quiet when they go to Grandma's for the night or to a friend's house for an afternoon, but I enjoy spending time with my kids. We do things together, we do things apart. When it's time for a break, I just tell them that I need some ME time and they find something to play with or something to do while I go do something for me. My husband is great about giving me a Saturday morning or afternoon if I'd like to go spend time with my friends doing our own thing.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 8, 2010

• just because I am a SAHM who home schools does not mean that I actually STAY HOME all day every day. My DD is 3, I home school her. We get out every day. That is a big help. Sticking to a routine/schedule is a big way to stay sane. Also, just because we are together all the time does not mean that we do not get breaks. We are not up each others butts all the time. She plays alone, its important that she learn how to be alone for short periods of time. You can get on CM, read, watch some TV, work out, etc. while she is doing her own thing. PM if you want my curriculum & schedule.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree with stressedmomma13. Homeschooling doesn't mean we are locked up in the house 24/7/365. We have soccer practice, games, lessons, scouts, play dates, homeschool groups. We try to get out a couple of times a week (not everyday, because we're trying to cut back on driving to save money). My husband and I have date nights. My husband takes over with the kids once he's home from work/school. The kids spend a great deal of time outside in the spring, summer and fall... they may be playing by themselves or with the neighbor kids. When I feel like I need a break, I set the kids up with a project (play-doh, craft they can do themselves, send them outside, let them watch a short tape, have them sit down and read, work on their chores, anything), and then I take a break for a few minutes (usually coming to CM to check in on my groups, LOL).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• why do you assume that I am? bwahahahaha . . .
    sanity is overrated, anyway.

I am in school, and listen to politcal commentary and read a lot, and have other mom friends online and IRL, for intellectual stimulation.

No, I'm not always patient with my kid, but the nice thing about HS is that it's so efficient that it's ok to take a mental health break day here and there, or put aside the more frustrating stuff for a bit.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 12:57 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• go out as often as u can
    san78

Answer by san78 at 12:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• LOL okay ladies, I KNOW you're not cooped up in the house all day. (I'm a SAHM and we get out almost every day!) That's not really what I meant. ;-D I meant you're not getting the break from your kids that mommies who send their kids to school get. That's the part I'm worried about.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the help!
    aliceryannesmom

Comment by aliceryannesmom (original poster) at 1:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010