Are handmade wedding invitations tacky?

I was thinking of hand-making our wedding invitations. We don't have a lot of money to spend for the wedding since it's a second marriage for both of us we are paying for everything.

mom23girls541

Asked by mom23girls541 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• No, they are NOT tacky! Good luck and congratulations.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• 1st of all its your wedding so its your oppinion that matters. 2nd if your very creative it could turn out to be very cute and no one may ever know they were hand made. Check out some sites for inspiration and ideas. All I know of is theknot.com. I made my sis's center peices and all the bouqets for her wedding. And everyone loved them I had no experience and no help. I say do it and good luck.
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 12:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, of course not!

We made ours by hand and they turned out beautifully...no one even knew they were done by hand because I used rubber stamps, etc and it looked professionally printed.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 12:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• congrat's,and how thoughtful to take the time to make them,that makes them all the more beautiful, plus gets your mind off of things for a bit!, a bunch of friends and maybe all the invite's different , individual,makes it all the more memerable,god bless and HAVE FUN!!!!
    peewee76

Answer by peewee76 at 12:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I made mine and they were beautiful. Not only that, but I was able to get EXACTLY what I wanted. I received many compliments on them and one friend told me that I had sold her on making her own. She was going to order them but after seeinng ours decided they were just as good.
    Just keep them simple. Invest in a few items if you dont already have them like a paper cutter and a fancy hole punch. Mine were dark brown paper with a design punched along the bottom. (It was one of thos wide hole punch things from JoAnns) and then I cut out the design paper (in my case it was birch trees) and cut out vellum of the same size. I printed the invite on the vellum (make sure you switch your printer setting to "fastdraft" so it doesn't smear) and attached it in line with the birch paper with brown ribbon.
    Have fun! I used the double sided tape runners and they are awesome! It is what I always use for scrapbooking and stuff!
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No. Like EVERY other part of a wedding, it's all about YOU and doing what best reflects YOU as a couple... If that means hand made, that's a perfect way to do things... It's rather impossible to be tacky when it comes to how you express yourself at your own wedding.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think they can be beautiful and very special thing to make them by hand.... that said they can be done very tacky too just depends on what u do to make them.
    danni1982

Answer by danni1982 at 12:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think handmade is great puts a very personal touch into the picture!
    pumpkindreams

Answer by pumpkindreams at 7:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Best wishes on your upcoming marriage! I think it's a wonderful idea! Depending on what type of celebration you are having, invitations can be formal or cute. Handmade ones are awesome because you took the time to put your personality into them. You can find some great rubber stamps to help you.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, be on the lookout every week for the sale ad. You can find it at hobbylobby.com
    Many times their entire scrap booking section including the stamps, goes for 50 percent off. I would start off by deciding what you want your invitations to look like and how many you need. Then buy all your materials.

By the way, Hobby lobby frequently has all bridal for 50 percent off. You may be able to buy some of the pre-made invitations (preferably more plain) and DR. them up a bit.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 4:10 PM on Oct. 7, 2010