colostrum/breast milk during and after pregnancy...

im currently 19 1/2 weeks n just found out im having a boy today...extreemly excited and a lil concerned. this is my second and i have a thyroid disorder...which may have been the culprit for my breasts not getting milk with my first child. a very ademately intended to breastfeed my daughter when i became pregnant with her...and time came for labor...she was born 3 1/2 weeks early bu came out healthy as could be. i had a 17 hour labor...and no breast milk...i pumped religiously it seemed for 3 weeks after she was born and never even got a single drop...i even let her suck to try to bring it in...nothing ever happened...im now hoping for better luck with this attempt...is there anything that can make me produce...before the baby is born so that i know for sure it will be available when he arrives? my daughter went a day and a half without eating and it scared me to death that she would be malnutritioned. but was healthy...help

kaitybuggsmomma

Asked by kaitybuggsmomma at 12:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Pregnancy

• this is how milk begins to produced when your placenta is expelled it sends a signal to your body to start making milk, if a womans placenta isnt completly expell it can hinder milk prodcution. so no there isnt anything you can do before baby is born.
    now he is what you can do to up milk suplly.
    nurse nurse nurse
    if baby isnt nursing well pump every 2 hrs for 15 mts
    drink lots of fluids
    oatmeal one bowl a day
    mothers's milk tea
    and as a last resort ask the doctor for reglan or dopemine(sp)
    i suggest you go to this site kellymom.com
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• piwife has the same suggestions I was going to offer.
    Kudos for giving it another shot!! Don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work out again. My cousin has a similar problem, and she never could produce enough to even give her babies a full meal. She nursed as much as she could for 4 months. It devastated her to have to let it go, but it was so much stress for tiny drops that it wasn't worth it.
    I hope everything goes better this time around! Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:44 PM on Oct. 7, 2010