Why do you go to church if...

...all you do is come back home and lead a totally different life you portray while at church...basically being two faced?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• It depends on the person. When I first started going to church I had a lot of sin in my life and had that inward battle of wanting to live a life for God but having a hard time of letting go of things I know weren't good for me. By continuing to go to church it allowed God to speak to me and encourage me to do His will in my life.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Yeah, why not just stay at home and pretend to be at church?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• That's why I don't believe in organized religion =] I would rather worship God in my own time however I see fit. I stopped going to church because I realized that half of the people I went to church with were two-faced liars and bigots that pretended to lead oh-so-holy lives but then did horrible things when they got back home. Church just wasn't for me, I dunno. But if some of you are happy with your church congregations, good for you. I wasn't as lucky.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:38 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I think you should go to church for you and only you. If you stopped going to church because of other people being two faced then you werent going to church for the right reasons youself.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• The way I see it, if you are part of a good congregation, it really shouldn't matter. You are there for YOURSELF, not everyone else. What they do isn't your problem. You only answer to God for yourself and not them. I go for the encouragement and support of fellow believers. Sometimes it helps to be part of a group. If they want to live two-faced lives, let them. Let them answer to God for it. You do what you know to be right, and everything will be fine. However, if you do the same thing, you will have to answer just the same as they will. That's not opinion...that's fact.

Keep in mind that not everyone is like this, but if you live in a small town, it may be harder to find a sincere group of believers...
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Just a question of my own...why do people ask these questions as anonymous? What's so wrong with asking for information and have people know who you are? This is a good question that was asked here!
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I would agree with you, however I have a "stalker" type person in my life that could easily google my screen name and find anything I speak about. I do it anon because I am still able to enjoy cafemom and not have that "stalker" harass me. Make sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• When you are caught up in religion, this is a very real issue. But...when you desire an actual relationship with Christ your life is balanced (no two-faced stuff). Many believers struggle with this at one point in their lives. I did when I was growing up, because I was living off my parents beliefs. It wasn't until I began to study and pray and understand why I believe what I do, that my life at home began to mirror my life at church. Because God finally became my 1st priority and focus.

God isn't just stuck in a church. He's everywhere all the time. You can't leave him behind and go about your life, it doesn't work that way. Balance and total commitment is a must for spiritual maturity.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 11:51 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well, I don't lead a totally different life when I come home. And I go to church to help me NOT do that. I sincerely don't want to be a hypocrite or two-faced as you say. So, for me, going to church helps me more than staying home would. I find when I stay home and am not involved in church that it's easier to let things slide. So, going to church helps me stay on track! Great question, by the way!! I know exactly what you mean. Also remember, if you're speaking from experience, that those are people and certainly not God.
    kymbernv

Answer by kymbernv at 11:55 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• You assume that all who go to church act one way there and different when they leave.. when not all do that. I go to church to learn and be spiritually fed and to be around other believers. No we are not perfect so yeah... we may blow it. We ask God to forgive us and if we've hurt or did something to someone we ask that person also.

Also, not everyone who goes to church are Christians. So, yeah they will act one way there and different when they leave.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:56 AM on Oct. 25, 2008