how do i know when to start giving her more?

how do i know when to give her more formula right now my 5week old is on 5oz but people (mil) keep telling me she should be taking more by now but she doesn't even take the whole 5oz most of the time so i was thinking i'll move her up too 6 if she finish two whole bottles in 1 day what do you think

Paigesmommy78

Asked by Paigesmommy78 at 1:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wouldn't worry. As long as she is gaining weight and having 4-5 dirty diapers, you are ok. let your child dictate the portion size, not what other people say.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 1:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i agree with the above comment...she will let u know when she is ready...she may get hungry in a smaller amt of time after finishing the whole bottle. babies develop at their own pace and she will let u know when its time...u are her mother...u will know.
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 1:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son would just indicated me or I would know when he wanted more he was 3 months old and he was still taking only 4oz bottles so don't worry
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Honestly, I say screw what the doctor's say. You know more about your child then any doctor ever will. They told me when my baby was five weeks to only give my son like 6 bottles a day...well, I gave my son more than that, I mean I didn't overdue it to the point that he was sick or it was too much for him and making him over weight, but if he wanted a bottle and it wasn't "time" yet I'd give him two or four extra ounces. My son started sleeping through the entire night at five weeks and has been ever since. [: If your baby is hungry, don't deny them of their formula. If you add one or two more extra ounces to their bottles or if you just give them a two or four ounce bottle inbetween and they drink it and keep it down, then why not give it to them? My son is so happy because he's always well-fed and has a full tummy. Just some advice. [:
    JacksonsMommyx3

Answer by JacksonsMommyx3 at 9:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010