What do you think about people having a second baby so that they can have a kidney, blood, or marrow donor for the first?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 1:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I will preface saying I have NOT faced this, so could conceivably alter my opinion. I would also guess that generally by the time you knew this was necessary and managed to get preggo, and have the baby, and have it large/old enough to go through any treatment...the elder child would be in serious trouble and a child a few yrs younger wouldn't help/match the requirements...would it?? (maybe core blood would?)

I think it an odd/poor motivation if that is the primary reason. But also can't imagine what I could potentially do to try to save my baby. I have 3 and...would do an amazing amount to keep them healthy!
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 1:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• As long as they love the second child in the same way and as much than I see nothing wrong with it. But It should be up to the second child as soon as they are able to understand and make their own decision on the situation
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think its heartless and sick.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 2:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• That child will forever know that the only reason it exist was to save it's sibling.......

If you have a child already born, that's one thing. But to create a life just to be a donor for the other.... That child won't ever know if they were truly wanted, or if they were just 'spare parts'.... What if it goes wrong?

Children should never be born with a job to do. They should never be born as replacements for deceased siblings, they shouldn't be adopted to 'be the girl/boy', they shouldn't be conceived to save another.
    Each child should be conceived without expectations and loved for who / what they really are.

If someone conceived a child for that reason, and they were not a match, could they honestly say they wouldn't be dissapointed? That child would be born knowing they'd already let their parents down...... How bad must that be?
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 2:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think it is mean and heartless.
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 8:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I can understand the desire to do anything to save your child, but at the same time I think there is something wrong with bringing a baby into this world as 'spare parts' and making them undergo painful medical procedures that can jeopardize their own health. Even if they are loved, that is not treating them fairly.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 8:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• thats a new one
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Mostly, these children are conceived for bone-marrow transplants, or organ donation.
    Mostly the parents undergo IVF to ensure the child is compatible.

It's not common, but it does happen.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 10:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I do not agree with it. But my mom had my brother only because she thought I should have a playmate growing up.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't agree with the "spare parts" deal but, me and hubby have 5 kids and are always ready for another child. I wouldn't conceive through IVF to ensure a match because I would not want the existing embryos to die because they were not a match. Bone marrow is inhumane to do on a small child, organ transplants limit the activities they can do when they are older, I would allow cord-blood or blood donation because they are not "that" invasive but anything more and I couldn't allow a small child to go through that.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010