Should your kids be allowed to chat on the internet?

BigfordBrat

Asked by BigfordBrat at 1:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• With all of the nuts out there on the web...NO WAY!
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 1:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It depends on their age and what kind of web it is.I wouldn't want my child chating to someone I don't know. That how kids get kidnap they give out to much info.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 1:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think there are too many aspects to answer your question. How old are they? Is the computer in a general family space or off on it's own, have you done work with your child about what is appropriate/safe/polite in chatting, what are your guidelines? etc. My eldest is now 12 and so far she is not allowed. But I know the door will be opening in the next few years for sure. She is learning a lot about how to communicate online though--from important things like "you must physically know the person you email-we don't have a pen pal so that is not an issue, to how you use BCC and not spread everyones email to everyone else you know when you forward that horribly cute set of photos! And most importantly I think, to only say what you would be comfortable saying in person. If you can't say it to their face, DO NOT SAY IT!
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 1:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on their maturity level and age...my 12 yr old son No...my 14 yr old daughter in gifted courses and preparing for eary graduation Yes...my 18 yr old who has no concept of internet skills definately no
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• military schoolshave a homework/ school chat room that is on a military controlled system, and can not me infiltrated! And the chool monitors ALL converstion on there, sofor that site, YES!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2010