Is it wrong to teach children about Jesus?

If your child's friend was playing at your house and said he/she never went to church and doesn't know about Jesus, would it be your place to share the Gospel? Does it make a difference how old, or young, the child is?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 1:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• – collapse
    No. I think that everyone should know about him.There's something about the name jesus. He's so forgiving all children should know something about him. My daughter loves to song- this little light of mine. Everytime she sings it, it makes me smile. If I never teach her anything else. Atleast I know she knows him.
    TwannaB.

Answer by TwannaB. at 1:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• That's a tough one! My personal feeling is that every child should be taught about Jesus, but when dealing with other people's children, the parents should be consulted first. And who knows, maybe they don't know Jesus and would like to learn as well.
    Jennifer W.

Answer by Jennifer W. at 1:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Umm no. It wouldnt be your place at all. It would be your place to offer to pick the child up on Sunday and take him to church with you, but if the parent declines...you drop it.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:52 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• if it were me...i would feel compelled to share...short and sweet of course...but i am a strong believer and i like to surround myself with ppl that have the same or similar beliefs...but that certainly is a tough one...expecially in this day and age...
    kaitybuggsmomma

Answer by kaitybuggsmomma at 2:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Exposing a child to religious beliefs - theirs, others, none at all - are the parents' jobs. No one else.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• – collapse
    My niece’s parents are atheist. She came up to me one day (4yrs old) with the bible and asked me to read it to her. As I was reading her dad ran in, and was pissed. He told me to never teach his child about god again...
    The next time she and I were together, she asked me to read her the bible, and I did. God tells us that it is our JOB to minister. When everyone knows about God and Jesus, when they know right from wrong, then they are responsible for their own religious decisions. But until that time, it is our job to minister, especially if they are intrigued and want to learn.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 2:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• If anyone, child, adult, ect. came up to me and asked me who Jesus or God was or my beliefs on the subject then, I would explain making sure to emphasize that these are my beliefs. And if it were a child then, I would also tell the child that they need to also ask their parents what they believe.

BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It depends in whether it would conflict with the families religious views. As a Muslim I would be very offended if you took it upon yourself to inform my young impressionable child about the Christian view of Jesus. For one our views on Jesus are likely contradictory but to tell this view without me being able to shield and counter this with the Islamic perspective point by point would be very upseting to me. It should be my choice when and how I introduce my child to religious concepts, especially Jesus, not yours. If you know that the child's family is christian (even if non-practicing) that's different and at least far more acceptable but if you don't know or know the family is not Christian it would be offensive. If it were my child you kid would have just lost a friend because I would not allow them back to your house. I would direct the child to ask their parents without offering my own beliefs.
    -Cassandra-

Answer by -Cassandra- at 3:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i don't think that's okay, unless you clear it with the parents first. i want my son exposed to a lot of information about a lot of different beliefs, but i want to know who is telling him what BEFOREHAND. that way, i can be prepared to field any questions he may have.
    nemiller

Answer by nemiller at 6:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'd be extremely upset if my DS went to a christian friends home and came back telling me that childs parents taught him about Jesus and God. That is WAY WAY out of line. Would you like it if your child came to my home and I told him that there is no god? That Jesus was simply a man and the bible is simply a book, nothing more? How would that make you feel?
    You can love jesus all you want...leave my kid out of it. It is MY job to teach him the truth about religion and beliefs.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010