Does teaching tolerance of gay people promote a homosexual agenda?

With all the bullying that's going on in schools, some people are pushing to have teachers explain about homosexuality, and tell students that its OK to be gay. But others are fighting this idea saying that since kids are already confused about life, teaching about homosexuality will just turn more kids gay. And they also feel that homosexuality is not natural, therefore teachers shouldn't push the gay agenda about gay tolerance.

How do you feel about this? Which side do you agree with the most?

art.diva

Asked by art.diva at 1:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• May, bullying in general is also addressed, but the recent amount of gay youth suicide have those with a heart alarmed. Teens in general are not very well equipped to handle taunting from their peers, it is a time for self discovery, and when they come from a home that tells them how evil and wrong they are for their natural feelings, it creates havoc in their mind and opt to end their life to avoid the shame to their families, sad, very sad, I deal with them on a regular basis and let me tell you it is hard to get them to feel proud of who and what they are so they can thrive.

Answer by older at 8:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It takes a special brand of idiot to believe that a child hearing about the very existence of homosexuality might "turn them gay" or in some way corrupt them. Considering the majority of gay people are raised by straight parents and the majority of gay couples raise straight children, that reduces their reasoning to plain old fashioned hate and fear.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Tolerance to all kinds of people should be taught. There should be ZERO tolerance for any sort of bullying.
    AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 6:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• IT"S NOT AN AGENDA!!!!!! People are born into their sexuality.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 1:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am teaching my children that we do not pick on anyone for anything, whether it's a personality trait, physical appearance, clothing, school performance, etc etc. I have not discussed homosexuality with my kids yet, but have been teaching them to "be nice" to EVERYBODY since they were old enough to grasp the concept. I have never, not one time, ever had another parent or teacher inform me that my kids have been anything less than kind to another child for any reason. I think this lays the foundation for how we conduct ourselves as the subject matter grows more complicated as they get older.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Bullies are bullies. They don't need a specific reason to pick on a kid who is different. Any difference will do.

But when they are repeating something they learn at home THEY don't know it's bullying, and when they are told to stop picking on people in general, they don't realize that includes repeating the things mommy and daddy taught them at home. It never occurs to them that mommy and daddy are bullies, too. Unfortunately, in the cases where kids are picking on other kids for being gay or being perceived as gay, that's exactly why they are doing it - because mommy and daddy ARE bullies, and just as guilty of making disparaging comments about gay people. It's far less likely they hear mommy and daddy running around making fun of smart people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I believe that people are born gay. Therefore, I will teach my children to treat gays as they do all others, with kindness and respect. My brother in law is an amazing man, and gay, and married to another wonderful man. My children will grow up with them, and hopefully, they will be tolerant and accepting of the way people are born.
    akyoungmommy

Answer by akyoungmommy at 8:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Being tolerant of someone doesn't necessarily mean you agree with them. Children should be taught to be tolerant of all people regardless of how they are different from them. Bullying the "nerdy" kid or the smallest one isn't okay either.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 9:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No. Why should we have to mandate teaching tolerance of certain types or groups of people? Why should another person categorize other citizens? Do we have to teach tolerance of other groups: Blacks, women, the disabled, Christians? Do people actually look at people walking down the street and say to themselves, "there goes a Black man, a lesbian, a paraplegic?" How about we just accept people as people; forget the burden of tolerance.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We need to create a generation of non prejudice people, teaching them the truth about homosexuality will create this, nobody can turn you gay if you are not, we also need to stop the gay bashing and bullying in general. Homosexuality is normal and natural for the homosexual, it comes natural for them to be attracted to the same sex, they go through the same trial and tribulations we all do to find a mate, they are no different than the rest of us and yet for years have been deprived of their due civil rights only because of influential religious people do not agree with it.

There is no agenda, just a plan in place for those who can't understand to learn and not be afraid of what they do not know. I would love to see equality reighn in my lifetime, and I do my part to make it happen.

Answer by older at 8:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010