How can I knock some sense into my SO?

As most of you know, money sucks right now! I want Christmas to be really special for my kids, so I thought I'd put some stuff on Layaway (I know, Kmart is the only one that does it anymore!) but my SO says NO. It seems that his ex-wife lost $800 on a couch she had put on layaway, and forgot to make a payment, so they wouldn't let her have her $$ back or just pay for the rest of the couch. Now if I even mention layaway, he just says no, no, no. (I know, he's mature!) Any suggestions on how to get him to come around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Relationships

• IREALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY BECAUSE FOR SOME REASON WHEN SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS TO A MAN THEY NEVER FORGET ESPECIALLY IF IT INVOVED MONEY SO YOU KNOW HE MAY NEVER COME AROUND JUST PRAY AND MAY BE HE WILL REALIZE IT IS CHEAPER TO DO IT THAT WAY AND YOU AREN'T HIS EX WIFE SO GET OVER IT.
    sniyah

Answer by sniyah at 7:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• i think that its something you wont win on - unless you say "how dare you compare me to her"
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 11:52 AM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Point out to him that HE could be in on paying them. I am not siding with the ex or anything but how did she "lose" the $800 on her own. He didn't know about it or where the store was? If she DID hide it from him THAT's where you win. You aren't hiding it fom him and if he is worried you aren't paying on it HE can.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Do it anyways and don't tell him....Or put all the xmas presants on the credit cards,,,or just do what your husband says...Good luck on that

Answer by louise2 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• If that's going to be the best way for you to get your kids gifts then go for it, my hubby is the same way (he doesn't like K Mart) and I tell him he doesn't have to like it he just has to deal with it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Just go and do it, and then tell him about it. Or if that wouldn't work, figure out how much everyones presents are going to be total, and then put a certian % of that back each pay period, then you can be saving a little at a time, and you still won't have anything on lay away. So if you were going to spend $1000 on christmas put 10% back each time (that is what layaway normally is) so $100 each week for the next 10 weeks.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 12:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Go do it any how! I do it since that way I can give the gifts I want and make payments other wise ask him will he have how much you can spend all at once. I am not able to but again I only spend about 300.00 on my whole xmaS GIFTS
    moma22angels

Answer by moma22angels at 7:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2008