Does anyone know anything about Celiac?

My child is 10 and she has been complaining about stomach pains that are really painful. The doctors have tested her for basically everything they know of. This week she is going to have an edoscopy and colonoscopy. A friend of mine who has had the same symptoms of my child says she probably has Celiac. I have read some details about it and it sounds like what she could have. I just wanted some input on anyone who might be familiar with this and give any ideas to me about some of the foods that are good. (Celiac has to do with gluten in the food)

k68

Asked by k68 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• does she have diarrhea often and is she losing weight? if so then it is a good chance.

gluten free foods are available at health food stores. it can be expensive. if you check on line they will give a list of restraunts that have gluten free choices on the menu.

a favorite here is rice pizza. kids miss pizza if you want I will give you the reciepe. really need to read ingredient. soy sauce some icecream, broths and bullion have hidden wheat.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 12:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Go to wrongdiagnosis.com and use the multi symptom checker.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 12:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Ask the doctor to test for it. My nephew was diagnosed when he got really sick and his parents took him to a nutritionist. The nutritionist took one look at him, saw white bumps on his elbow and said he was 98% sure Sean had Celiac. He took some blood and tested and he was right. Stomach cramping and diarrhea could also be Irritable Bowel Syndrome or some form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• There's a group here called gluten free something or other. Most of the members have children with celiac's I think and talk about the foods the kids eat, where to get it, how to cook gluten free etc. They will be able to answer all of your questions I think.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Feel free to pm me.
    I am the chairperson of the Louisiana Celiac Sprue Association Ch 125.
    I am available for questions and guidance in the area of Celiac and Gluten Intolerance and the gluten free diet!
    www.csaceliacs.org
    southernlamom

Answer by southernlamom at 1:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2008