Do you know anyone like this?

I'll admit it; my sister drives me insane. She does this thing that I call the "intentional woe-is-me" - she schedules her life so that she does not get a moment to breathe - even though half the things she does are completely unnecessary. Then she whines to world about it. You can't ask "How are you?" without getting a predictable, "Oh, well...." answer. You will then hear about everything she has been doing and why she's so overwhelmed. She came over for my DH's birthday and the first words out of her mouth were, "I'm getting sick." Oh, okay...hello to you too...even every Facebook status she posts reminds the world how overwhelmed and busy she is.

I don't believe for one second that she's miserable: she LOVES being busy. She intentionally overworks herself JUST so she can talk about it. I'm just as busy as she is, but I don't spend my free time whining about it!

Do you know anyone like this?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 3:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Sometimes people purposefully "overwelm" themselves because they want to avoid something in their life by staying busy. Usually something stressful. Ask her if there's something you can do to help.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• yes, my MIL is that sort of person
    A11

Answer by A11 at 4:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Hey that sounds just like my mom!!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 4:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Ya..my oldest sister. Add being a hypochondriac and wasting the time of every medical professional possible with her fake problems to get attention and you have it. I can't stand her. I barely talk to her.
    StRita

Answer by StRita at 4:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I know somebody like that. She has fibromyalgia (sp?) where the muscles just won't relax, and she wonders why. The woman doesn't know how to sit down.   It is like something is chasing her and if she sits down it will catch her.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Do you guys have the sort of relationship where you can joke about it? If so, start calling her "Eyore." (from Winnie the Pooh) I had to do that to my Mom because she was turning into a Debbie Downer all the time. It made her think without making me say the words "you're complaining all the time" in a critical way. Or, maybe your sister is the type of person where you just need to come right out and say "nobody likes to be around a complainer, and you complain a LOT! Stop it, or I have to limit my time around you because you bring me down." Sorry, I know you didn't ask for relationship help, but there you have it. LOL
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Oh yes. She's also one of those people who needs to have attention always focused on her. She only plays "mommy" when it'll look good in her favor (ie: when people come over to her house, when they go out somewhere). I HATE it. She's also a hypochondriac.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thank the Almighty I don't. Sounds frustrating and very annoying just reading about it
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 9:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2010