My son is 17 months old and still wakes up in the middle of the night for a bottle! What can I do?

camdensmomma07

Asked by camdensmomma07 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Water bottle...unless you want the child to get bottle rot. He wont like it but be firm! If he is really thirsty he will drink some and go back to sleep.
    Lisajean923

Answer by Lisajean923 at 11:16 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• try a drink from a sippie cup make him lay back down. I know it's easier said than done , may take a while but be consistant it does work.
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 12:20 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• I'd say just get rid of the bottle all together. I personally wouldn't get in the habit of eating OR drinking anything at night or he'll expect it (and it IS bad for the teeth!). Start weaning from the bottle, one feeding per day. Then once he goes a full day without a bottle cut it out at night. Just make sure he eats a good dinner and a light snack before bed to help the night time hunger! Your body gets hungry at the same times each day, it's habitual (remember being in school and always getting hungry ten minutes before the lunch bell?)...HTH!
    JohnnyCakes

Answer by JohnnyCakes at 12:49 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• My son just turned 1 and is having the same problem. I don't think he's hungry, but wakes up and needs it to soothe him back to sleep. We're trying the cry-it-out method this weekend. We're going to give him a paci and leave the room. If he's still crying in 15 minutes, we'll do the same until he's back to sleep. Good luck!
    beckster_01

Answer by beckster_01 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 4, 2008