My nine year old is overwieght

I desperately need help to help my nine year old daughter. Do you have any advice? Maybe someone can help me with an eating plan?

Hannelie

Asked by Hannelie at 5:18 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Less carbs, take out the bad carbs out of here diet. Take junk food out of the house. Feed her fruit and vegies and meat.

Answer by louise2 at 5:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thanks Louise, I am doing that already, but it is very hard having a teenage boy in the house without weight problems. He gives her a very hard time and refuses to refrain from sweets within her facinity.

What portion of food is enough for her at meal time? If shes still hungry can I give her raw fruit and veg?
    Got any lunchbox ideas? Bread seems to be a huge problem and she's having that for school lunch every day and even for lunch, since i'm a working mother they help themselves to food.
    Hannelie

Comment by Hannelie (original poster) at 6:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My 12 yr old is overweight also, I try to eliminate junk food when I go grocery shopping cause if it's n the house they will eat it. If there are certain fruits you all like buy that, if you need something sweet buy grapes or their favorite junk food with less fat. Also try to get them buisy doing something it helps keep their mind off of food, Mine tends to hit the pantry when he's bored.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the advice, I am sure to keep it in mind. what do you pack your son for school lunch, any ideas? I never thought this will be such a huge battle to fight, I feel so sorry for my little girl and sometimes when she asks me for a sweet I feel cruel by saying no, do you point out that hes got a weight problem, how did you get him to realise his gotta give his cooperation?
    Hannelie

Comment by Hannelie (original poster) at 6:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Can you speak with a nutritionist? One thing I would say is that your son doesn't do his body any favors by building it out of junk food either. It'll be much easier to help your daughter if you get both kids "on board" with a healthier diet. Is she physically active at all? Joining a sport or getting a little bit of daily run time will help her weight stabilize. Good luck momma - the road might look really difficult from here, but your daughter will benefit so much more in the long run if you help her with it now.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 6:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Dear Dr Donna,
    I am a single mom and do not have the finance to see a nutritionist. What you say is true, I have to get both children on board. She is not really physically active, she tried to do netbal, tennis and athletics at school but the children teased het so much that she gave up... I tried encouraging her but to no luck, I think the heartache of not fitting in had taken its toll and i am heartbroken watching this. Wish I could make this better for her instantly, we've tried dieting and walking, but because im a single mom i work long hours and do not get home in time for her to go for walks, the diets last until someone eats something or I go to work and shes home alone, then she eats whatever she finds.
    Hannelie

Comment by Hannelie (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• does anyone have any idea of what i can pack her for lunch and how do i determine portion size for her?
    Hannelie

Comment by Hannelie (original poster) at 7:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My 11 year old was over weight at that age too. She grew out of (or maybe into?) it, but for a while we restricted her diet. We happen to love fruits and veggies so that wasn't an issue. I started keeping bvreads and tortillas in the freezer because it was too much work for kids to make a sandwich if they actually had to defrost anything. I stopped buying junk food at all and my husband (who swears he will die without potato chips) would buy his and keep them in a high cabinet. He agreed to only eat them after she was in bed.
    I'm cash-strapped too. But I found a few places that had pretty cheap classes for kids. My daughter started swimming. Most of the kids in her class were younger than her, which meant they really didn't pick on her. She got a huge self-esteem boost from that class. I also had her in Tae Kwon Do for a long time. That class was very active and the kids aren't allowed to be rude to each other.
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 8:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Try your local YMCA or Boys & Girls Club for some classes.
    emhain

• Maybe she can join some team sports. My DD started playing soccer and she slimmed down a lot. Now she attends an aerobics class with my mom and she loves it. Just a little physical activity can do a lot for a child that age.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010