Which groceries do you buy?

You have $50 to spend at the grocery store for a week of breakfast (as simple as cereal), lunch (simple as peanut butter sandwich), and dinner (Hamburger Helper, but try to stay away). What do you buy?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 8:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A gallon of milk ($2), a jar of spaghetti sauce ($1) two pounds of red beans ($2), a pound of rice ($1), a package of tortillas ($2), a pound of cheese ($4), a pound of macaroni ($2), two pounds of ground beef ($5), five pounds of potatoes ($3), five pounds of flour ($3), a pound of butter ($3), a small box of baking soda ($1), a small can of baking powder ($1), a pound bag each of frozen peas, corn and spinach ($5), 36 eggs ($4), a pound of sausage ($2), two loaves of bread ($4), a jar of peanut butter ($3), a can each green chiles and tomatoes ($2). That's $50. Meals: Red beans and rice/Bean and Rice Enchiladas (2 days dinner), Meatloaf and mashed potatoes/ meatloaf sandwiches/potato croquettes(dinner/lunch/breakfast), macaroni and cheese and peas (dinner/lunch), Sausage and potato soup (dinner/lunch), homemade pizza (dinner), leftover night. Lunches not covered can be bean roll-ups, PB sandwiches, leftover soup.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:13 AM on Oct. 8, 2010

• bag of rice (it goes with everything), package tortillas, 3 lb roll hamburger meat, 3 lb thing of ground turkey, cheese, loaf of bread, frozen vegetables, box of oatmeal, package bologna, spaghetti, tomato soup. And I think that's pretty close to $50. I would make some hamburger steaks, spaghetti with sauce (tomato soup with some italian seasonings in it), burritos, salisbury steaks, one night of leftovers. Oatmeal for breakfast, and bologna sandwiches for lunch. And all of this is going on the assumption that I don't have to buy coffee because I still have plenty at home.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• loaf of bread, bag of potatos, a chicken, roll of hamberger meat, bag of rice, broth, bananas...is that 50?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• milk, bread, eggs, cereal, big roll of hamburger meat, lunch meat, 7 cans of veggies, potatoes, bananas
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The one thing no one mentioned was milk (Regular or soy). What are you putting on that cereal? I would buy milk, bread, cheap stuff for lunches, deli meat, cheese slices, PB & jelly, cereal, hamburger, rice or instant potatoes, and veggies.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 10:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• QueenMomma2023 - Yes, assuming you already have coffee, lol. =)
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If my cupboards are totally bare, I have nothing to begin with, then...flour, bakind powder, baking soda, canned pumpkin, apples, eggs, oatmeal, brown sugar, cinnamon, a chicken, a roast, bags of frozen veggies, bananas, a can of wondra flour, at least 2 gallons of milk, pasta, rice, (hamburger, chili beans, tomato juice - would all be a maybe), black pepper, salt, celery, carrots, potatoes. If there was money left, the rest would go for fresh fruit. That would make muffins (LOTS of muffins), oatmeal, scrambled eggs, soups, stews, casseroles, and lots of leftovers. And yes, the way I shop, I could get all of that for $50.
    Anonymous

• oatmeal,butter,bread,deli turkey,cheese,sour cream and onion chips,ground turkey,cream of chicken soup,tater tots,shredded cheese,garlic bread,coke zero!
    donnaw2kids

Answer by donnaw2kids at 3:36 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Cont...Breakfasts are pancakes, muffins, scrambled eggs, homemade bagels...Whoops, gotta squeeze in a couple of bucks for yeast!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:15 AM on Oct. 8, 2010