Have you ever moved out of state with a child who you had joint custody of?

Well we don't actually have joint custody. We were never married and he gets visitation every other weekend, some holidays and it is not required but I also let him have dd one week for Christmas break and summer break. Anyway DH and I have thought about relocating due to his job. His company is putting in another building 7 hours away. We would love to do it. Not sure if we will though. We are only required to inform my ex of the move. I am just wondering if anyone else has done this.

Shaylyn318

Asked by Shaylyn318 at 8:09 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• We've been on the receiving end of this deal. The ex is a bitch (and I'm not just saying that because she married my husband first; she seriously wants to screw us over with any kind of visitation with their son) and didn't tell us that she wanted to move out of state (at first). I think we heard it from their son and then she told my husband. She gave her reasons (same reason why we moved from California to Colorado to Texas), but is wishy-washy about the WHEN.

If the father is still wanting to spend time with your daughter, not only would I inform him of the move (and reasons; not legally bound to give reasons, but it doesn't make you out to be the "bad guy") and let him know that, if he's able to afford transportation, lodging, etc., he can still have his regular visitations.

When we moved out of state, our visitation was limited to only holidays; at the time of our move, we were a timezone apart; now it's two.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2010