What age do you let your children on social networking sites?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 8:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I allowed DD to get a Myspace at 15. She's now tossed that aside and has a Facebook - also a personal blog on Tumblr. She's 17-1/2 now, by the way. . .
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think 15 years old is fine.... but I've been hearing about 7 and 8 year olds on Facebook!!! Thoughts?
    lmt_mom2010

Comment by lmt_mom2010 (original poster) at 8:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• with parental monitoring, it shouldn't ever be a problem.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My nearly 13 yr old has a facebook page. For him it's a way to keep up with friends who have moved away and his cousins overseas. Some of my friends' kids have had their own pages since they were 8. A bit silly if you ask me. There are other places for kids to get on an play games. Plus you have to be 13, I don't like the lying to get a facebook thing.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My oldest got his at 12. BUT I have the password, he has only friends from his private school, and it's a great way to track him if he's up to something. We have had no problems with it.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have a 7 year old and a now 9 year old (who was 8 just a couple of weeks ago). They both have a Facebook account. I have full access to both of their accounts, I have their accounts set completely to friends only, only the husband or I can approve or deny friend requests. And we set them up their own accounts early this year because we moved last year. We moved from Texas, where ALL of our friends and family are, so that it was a little easier for them and the kids to keep in touch. And both of my children know the rules, and they both know that if they don't follow the rules, I am going to delete their accounts and they won't have any. The only people on their friends lists are family, and family friends. And I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. As long as they are monitored correctly.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• probaly 12, with serious monitring!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If you follow the rules of the social site they want to join. Some are 13. Check them out then that lets you off the hook if you think they are too young. I do think 7-8 is to young. My rule is also if I cant be your friend on facebook then you cant have an account. Some of my kids friends have even requested me as their friends.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Most social network sites have an age limit of 13 but since when do people follow the rules right? I'll probably allow my son to join one when he is 14.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Probably around 14, but I'm hoping they don't have much interest or that social sites die down by then. Hey, a girl can hope right :)
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 2:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010