To pro-lifers adult content

If you believe that abortion is murder, how can some of you say that it is ok for a girl or woman to have an abortion in certain cases, like rape, incest, or if the mother's life is in danger? I am 100% pro-choice, but this is something I've always wondered about. If abortion is murder, how can some murder be justified?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont believe in ANY reason to have an abortion I think it is all murder!
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 8:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm 100% pro-life. Without exceptions.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 8:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am pro-choice in the way that I do not feel qualified to make a personal decision for another person. However, you will get varying responses. Some feel that a female's age has something to do with it, some thing that a victim shouldn't be made to carry a baby to term if they have had to go through a violent sexual attack. And some pro-life women have beliefs like the first poster. Just like most issues, opinions will widely vary.  Good luck getting clarity on the issue.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• When the mother's life is in danger, very often, the baby will not survive, either. In my case, my baby was ectopic. (Ectopic babies are not viable 99.999% of the time. I know there is a TLC special about two that survived; they are very rare.) His placenta was attatched to the outside of my uterus. When it contracted, the placenta tore away, and I began bleeding internally. He was dying because the placenta was damaged, and I was in danger with the bleeding. The doc went in, removed the baby, stopped the bleeding, and removed my tubes. (I got pregnant after I had my tubes tied.) I was told that had we waited much longer, it would have been bad for me.

I know that I no other choice. He was non-viable; I was bleeding. I have two other children who need me. And still it breaks my heart that he is gone from me. If there had been any way to keep him, I'd have done it. But there wasn't. And I grieve him every single day.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• how can some of you say that it is ok for a girl or woman to have an abortion in certain cases, like rape, incest

I don't believe that's ok. But even for people who do believe that, those abortions account for less than 1% of the total. Why do you quibble over that when it's millions that are done for convenience? That's like questioning the choices of people who delay or spread out vaccinations by singling out the very few cases where they skip them altogether for religious reasons along with all other medical care.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If it is self-denfense then it isn't murder. Look up the legal terms. If somebody breaks into your home and/or is a threat to your survival then you are permitted to kill them. It is still taking a life, but it isn't technicaly murder. I believe a victum of rape or incest has a right to protect and defend her body, although if she can separate out the fact that it was the man and not the baby who hurt her and deal with that emotional hurddle that the Lord will bless her decision to birth the child. And if the pregnancy is going to kill the mom, that is a threat to her life and she has a right to protect herself. Now she may choose to risk it depending on the circumstances. There are grey areas here because nobody knows for sure if you wait to do chemo after the birth or whatever the details are once again the Lord may bless you and things will just work out.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am pro-choice. I have a former SIL who is pro-life and was very vocal and active in her pro-life belief-- attending rallies, debates, picketing places....I remember her saying that at one rally she attended people were saying "what if.... /what would you do" questions to her (like if you were raped, if there was a danger to you/baby) and in each she was very adamant she would "have the baby and keep it of course". She was very livid that people thought a change of circumstance would make her change her belief. Unfortunately SHE felt HER position (pro-life) was the ONLY one and did not hesitate to push her beliefs off on others and realize that others have the right to their own opinions.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I dont believe abortion is ever justified. There is always adoption and so many families out there that cant have babies!
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 9:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If it is self-denfense then it isn't murder.

ITA!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Oh, and I am pro-choice but feel like there are just a few instances where abortion is the best course. I have friends that feel the same way but consider themselves to be pro-life.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010