How much time a day to you spend alone with SO?

My husband works 55+ hours a week and does many household projects..... I haven't sat down and spoken with him in nearly a week and I am going crazy!!!! What is the norm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• Not too much now days since DH has been battling cancer. However, every minute we spend together right now is worth more than hours spent in a day for us. Before he got sick, we used to spend a few hours per day together alone between working, house tending, raising our DD, etc.

Might I suggest that you & your SO MAKE time to spend together? I know it's hard, but I truly believe that every couple needs time alone so that there are no regrets down the road. Good luck!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 8:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Well he is out of the house from 7:30 am until about 10:30 pm....sooooo we spend time together sleeping!!! lol....it SUCKS!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We don't have a lot of time to just spend with each other. My husband works swing shift, so it makes it really difficult. But, we try to spend at least an hour a day, just the two of us!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Alone? In a week? Probably only about 3 hours at the most. He works 3rd shift for 60 hours a week, sleeps during the day and gets up when the kids get home from school. We talk in the car every Friday morning on the way to get groceries. He doesn't work Friday and Saturday nights, so we manage to spend some alone time for a few hours then, but because he's used to being awake all night and asleep during the day and I'm the opposite, it's still hard to find a time when we're both awake enough to talk or whatever.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• maybe sitting down together to talk for about 10 minutes before he goes to bed..then we go to sleep. its normal.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Honestly not much. I work a 9 hour shift then come home to take care our son. Since he is home with our son all day he likes to go to the gym when I get home, he spends 2 hours there and will sometimes stop a friends' house so by the time he gets back I am almost always asleep.
    DeeDee323

Answer by DeeDee323 at 8:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• About an hour. more if he's up when the kids are napping. he works 28 days straight (out of state) and then gets 4 days home, he works at least 81hrs a week so when he's home I let him rest a lot! we also have 3 kids under 2 1/2 so we (me) are very busy!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Not much, my boys are autistic homebodys with separation issues and when they aren't at school, they are home 24/7. So when my DH works at home or has a day off, if we're both in the mood we try to squeeze some alone time in.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We spend time with each other after the kids go to bed for a couple hours on the nights I don't work.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am sorry to hear about your husband, TeensMom07. I will keep you and yours in my thoughts.

And now on to the question. I haven't seen my husband in almost three weeks. He is gone out of town a lot for his job. But when he is home, we ALWAYS make time to just sit and talk with each other, even if it is in bed right before we go to sleep. We try and do most things together when he is home so that we can make the most of the time that we have together because we never know when he is going to have to leave again and we never know for how long he will be gone.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010