Clipping baby's nails

I tried to clip my baby's nails when she was newborn and I accidentally clipped her finger too! I think I cried harder than she did. Now I'm absolutely terrified of doing it. My mother has been clipping them for me whenever she sees her. My mom is away and she's due for a clipping. I must learn how to do this sometime, right? :) Any tips would be helpful, I would like to attempt this with as much knowledge and confidence as possible.

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 8:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That happened to me the other day. I was trying to clip my son's thumb nail and got his thumb :( I cried and felt so bad! Now, I just use the newborn emery boards and I think they actually work better.
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 1:28 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I didn't clip my kids' nails. I bit them. You can feel where to bite with your tongue. Never hurt them one bit. Good luck!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't clip them they are paper thing, there is a special emory board for newborn that is awesome, no need to worry about hurting them, they sell it at baby stores, it is awesome!

Answer by older at 8:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I use toe nail clippers. I feel more comfortable with them. I usually clip after a bath when the nails are nice and soft. I pull back on the bottom of the finger to expose more nail and I just take my time. It can take all day if the baby doesnt like it done, just be patient
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I always clipped my kids nails when they were just out of the bath. Their fingernails were nice and soft at that point and it was easier to get them done. Also, it's better to do it when they are either sleeping or drowsy so that they are very still. You want to use a nail clipper that is made for babies.

We've all been there at one point so don't worry! I did it to both my kids at least once :-)
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I meant thin!

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My husband would do it and now she's 7 months old and I do it but like u I was scared
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have slipped and cut my son's finger before and it terrified me to not wanting to do it again but when I saw that his nails were so long that they were hurting him and scratching up his face I had to do it. My little tricks are that if I can't do it when he's sleeping (which I can't), I stick a bottle in his mouth and that's the only way I can cut his nails. Just a tip, try the bottle. [:
    JacksonsMommyx3

Answer by JacksonsMommyx3 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I use an emery board to file down her finger nails.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 12:31 PM on Oct. 7, 2010