Has pink been reduced to a marketing gimmick?

More and more products are going pink now for breast cancer awareness. They add some pink to a label, raise their price by 20% or more, and promise a "portion of the proceeds" goes to fight breast cancer. You can spend $50 to get a single hair extension that costs about $10 until it turns pink and the calendar changes to October. Do any of these companies even really care about the disease or the survivors? Are pink uniforms for support, or a way to get more people to stop while flipping channels and catch a few sponsors' ads in the process? More important - how much of the money collected in the name of awareness month actually goes to something besides advertising expenses and charity salaries?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i think its sad in a way that males can't support the cause without feeling awkward from wearing or using pink items (aside from the subtle things like pins)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i'll probably get bashed for this, but i avoid buying pink things, because of this. i give, i run/walk..i will not pay increased prices for a product that gives what i consider minimal %s to breast cancer. they call it 'awareness'...doesn't everyone know it exists already? i refuse to put more money in a company's bottom line.
    every year, in the salon industry/distributor/merchandise, we are thrown into pink-overkill with everything from blowdryers and flat irons, to scissors, capes, and hairspray cans that are suddenly pink.
    i've thought the same as you, OP.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My Mom died of cancer in 2000, she said back then that Cancer is a huge money machine, and boy was she right.... She said they will never find a cure because there's too much of an industry for it... Scary isn't it? I don't support any of it. I want a cure to it as much as anybody, but I don't see anything good coming from all of the money making, etc.... If they found a cure, it would put millions out of a job... Do you think they really want that?? IMO, I don't.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It has been rumored that science has found cures for several kinds of cancer but they are not talking about it because the "cancer industry"-- in medicine and pharmacy-- has been too lucrative. If cancer was cured,how would they make money?
    But I hope that is not true---how sick would that be?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• In a word- YES. I think when I saw pink mouth pieces in the NFL i finally realized that Pink has become way overdone!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Companies will market anything if it earns them a penny...for instance, McDonald's is horrible food that contributes to obesity in this country and it's pure processed crap, yet you'll continue to see bright, happy fast food advertisements on Nickelodeon because kids don't know better and it's what they want.

So probably 1% or whatever the minimum is goes to "breast cancer awareness," but I'm sure a lot of it's going into their pockets.
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Really, that's all pink is good for anyway unless you age under age 2. lol
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Big gimmick. It's sad they took a cause and turned into such a marketing campaign. Let's just say I am not going to go out and buy a pink KitchenAid mixer or pink measuring cups in the near future.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:35 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• On the how much money goes part- I am not sure, but a few years back we did a project where the kids did ad campaigns for non-profits and then submitted them to the agency for feedback. Susan G. Koman was the ONLY ones that asked for a donation in return for reviewing and providing feedback on student work. Of course, we did not expect anyone to spend a lot of time on the review, a simple-great job would have meant a lot. We also understand that the agencies are probably asked a lot for this type of thing-but we sent student work to 50 different non-profits and 49 were great about it....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think it has but I support all breast cancer awareness! My aunt had stage 2 B breast cancer almost 13 year ago. She has survived but she talks about cancer at local schools and does all she can including buying everything with a pink ribbon on it. I do as well because t me even if it is 1 cent that 1 cent can help someone who didn't have the same finances as my aunt. Someone who can't afford the treatment my aunt was able to afford(some out of pocket because of her insurance) Even to families who have lost their loved ones. Oh and also it is not just women men die of breast cancer too!!!!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010