Do you have relatives that "throw" their wealth in your face?

My grandparents have quite a bit of money. We were always "threatened" as we grew up that if we did this or that or didnt do this or didnt do that we would be removed from the will. LOL! An example, when my cousin started smoking they told him if he didnt stop he would be cut off!! Yeah, they told me when I got pregnant at 17 I was a horrible person that I wasnt getting my graduation money. I finally told them to shove it the last time this crap was pulled. It just annoys me that when they have nothing else they threaten me with money.

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 8:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, but they are welcome to throw it in my wallet ;-)

Actually my MIL did that for awhile until they became broke. Serves em right.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have an uncle who is a big-wig in the auto industry. In the past 30-some years, as he 'rose up the corporate ladder' he went from being a nice guy, to being an uppity snob and his wife is even worse. He and wife like to rub it in our faces that they have the big expensive house, that they get 2 new cars every year, that their kids went to private school, they love to brag about the latest vacations and trips..... and they love to try to name-drop. I take it all in stride and think to myself "whatever. At least I am happy, and I am REAL not fake and I don't have to be on all the time". I personally think their finances are in the toilet and that I have a better credit rating than they do- and my house and cars will be paid off long before theirs! (and I work at a minimum wage job too!)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Not quite like that or to that extreme, but I do have family that is a little more well off than the rest (they worked hard for it and deserve it, though, IMO), and it has been my experience with that bunch that if you don't make X amount of money, then you aren't really good enough to just hang out with them and are only invited over for family functions, but once you start making the money, you are more than welcome at ANY time to go over to their place. When my husband changed carreers and started making more money, and we bought my truck, and we were buying a house, that's when we were ok to just come hang out anytime with them. I can't stand snobby materialistic and shallow people like that! Good for you for telling your grandparent's what they can do with their threats!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• we have an aunt and uncle on my husband's side that have more money than God Himself - they have always shared what they have with their 3 children (now grown and with families of their own) and us (their favorite niece and nephew) - i can't begin to tell you what all they have given us (all unasked for), but very much appreciated - of course, it's a two-way street - we are just as good to them - uncle jack is now 80 and doesn't like to drive anymore - so we pick them up and take them for 2 nights down to atlantic city, nj (we live in PA) and pick them up and bring them home - treat them while we are there - pick them up and stay by them at all family functions - did i mention we are closer in age to our aunt and uncle than to our cousins? i'm sorry you have the kind of relatives you do - they sound like real losers!!!!
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sounds like my brother. I know this all too well.
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No... My family isn't like that....
    Zanny

Answer by Zanny at 8:39 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, my brother has quite a bit of money and was able to retire at 50 but her never flaunts it and doesn't buy expensive things.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No. My family didn't. But my in-laws threw their "poorness" in my face, boasting that they didn't have much money but they were better than wealthy peole and theydemonstrated it by being really cheap and stingy. BUT....we found out that they actually had quite a bit of money in different banks and just wanted to be cheap.LOL. I don't know which is worse.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, none of our family has any wealth to throw in our face.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Not really but I kept getting reminded for years that if I hadn't gotten pregnant at 19 I would have been given a car and sent to college and given this and that. Whatever.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2010