Would you have both your breasts

removed if you were predisposed with the cancer gene to avoid cancer? I'm not so sure about this myself, maybe as I got older, but I'm not so sure when I was younger, it's a really hard decision to make. I guess right now I have to thank the LORD I never had to make that decision, yet again, I never had the test. I did have a GR-Mother on my Dad's side with a breast re-moved and a DD with 1/2 her cervix removed pre-cancerious, and that has both been too close to home for me.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 8:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• I am 33 (today) and my maternal grandmother died of breast cancer and my mom is a 10 year survivor. My gramma had one breast removed just to have it spread to the other within 6 months or so. My mom chose to have both removed and she has been cancer free, without Chemo or radiation, for 10 years! Once I am done having children I do plan to have the test done and if it is positive I will have both breasts removed and reconstructive surgery.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 9:23 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't think I'd have them removed, but I would go in and get tested often!
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 8:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Probably not. But I would seriously consider it.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i once read that women that have their breasts removed still get breast cancer. i would look into that for sure. before considering removing my breasts as a preventative measure i would eat a clean diet, and i would never get overweight. i would not drink alcohol or caffeine. i would breast feed, not formula feed.
    i would not get mammograms either. if you are at risk, then why use technology known to mutate cells when looking for mutated cells?
    i would do self exams regularly.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 7, 2010