Dr's receptionist with a cold/flu....Do you cancel peds appointment or not?

Appointment with the pediatrician scheduled for today. The receptionist called yesterday to confirm appointment. She sounded awful. I asked! she said it was the cold. 10 minutes later I called to cancel. Was I right or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• As long as my kids aren't REALLY sick... I won't go to the doctor's office at any time... so yeah... I'd do the same thing you did!
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, I wouldn't cancel. They are going to run into people with colds at school, at the mall, at the grocery store.... yes, it's a pain when your child gets sick, but encounters with these little bugs help to build the immune system over time.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Lol. Being a Dr's receptionist (OBGYN) myself, I think it's your choice. We work with sick people everyday. It's only natural we get sick more often. I think, the difference is that we are schooled on how to prevent spreading of infection and illnesses (from instruments to ourselves) I have a nasty bout of flu right now and I can promise you, I'm going to hand-sanitize our practice into bankruptcy. Also I would just like to point out that it's much less likely for you (or your kids) to catch cooties from us, with a desk between us than from the person waiting next to you. Breathing on you, their sick kids playing with toys your kids will play with. I suggest you phone your Peadiatrician and also check if there are any other sick patients there, if so, you'd better cancel. Your sick child can wait , eh?
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't have cancelled, it is not like my child is going to be kissing the receptionist. There are germs everywhere and you can't keep them from your child, especially if you go out in public.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• You canceled an appt because the receptionist had a cold?????? That's a bit over the top imo.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:14 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• In the same breath, you should stop going to the supermarket, movies, take your kids out of school.... hell, don't leave your home
    CassyzMom

Answer by CassyzMom at 9:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• no, i wouldn't have. our receptionist doesn't come into contact with our ds or any other child in the office. this time of year, you're coming into contact with all kinds of ills..you can't lock yourself up at home.
    besides, our office has separate, glass-walled waiting rooms for 'sick' and 'well' children.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, I wouldn't because the receptionist doesn't usually come into contact with you or your child and just use a lot of hand sanitizer...that's something I'm always in supply of. c[:
    JacksonsMommyx3

Answer by JacksonsMommyx3 at 9:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would not have canceled. Does the child even come in contact with the receptionist?
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yeah, I think you jumped the gun. EVERY TIME you go into the lobby of a Dr. Office you are exposed to viruses and germs. What about all the sick people waiting? You never know what all the people in the lobby are there for. If you waited until no one was sick to go there you'd never get in.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:06 AM on Oct. 7, 2010