Would it be bullying?

If a child of Native American or pagan parents went to school and told Christian children that they were murderers, because that's what the history of their own faith/culture believes, would that be bullying? If it is, how is that any different than Christian children who go to school talking about gays going to Hell or being sick/twisted/abominations/etc? Just because it is someone's belief system and what they learn at home, does that automatically trump being respectful of others?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religious Debate

• What school are you going to?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think children shouldn't be talking about any of that at school. They're supposed to go there to learn school subjects.

My kids don't go to school and talk about the Bible, they go to learn. There was a little girl though who constantly told one of my daughters about how her mommy drew a star on their livingroom floor, put candles around it, poured salt around it... and wanted my daughter to come over and do some kind of ritual with her... I called the principle...
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Good counter to the "but we don't mean to be disrespectful" argument.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 9:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• NO. Respect always comes first. There is a difference between being blunt (truth people NEED to know) and being cruel (saying things to HURT others). If you ask me something, i will tell you the blunt truth because I assume thats what you want (hey, you asked) BUT if you don't ask me, I wont shove it in your face and I REFUSE to be rude. In fact, I am a Christian and a major part of my belief system is that you treat others like the brothers and sisters they actually are to you (because God is everyones father).
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• In my 15 years in education I have never run across this in any form. The most kids do it talk about God or Jesus or whomever they believe. Sometimes heated debates ensue but I have to say, the debates on religion tend to me more tame than those dealing with other topics. The whole "you're gay" thing is never religious based- its based on insecurity and comes from kids of all backgrounds.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It's all bullying, but whether the child gets in trouble or not depends on the beliefs of the population majority. A Christian kid bashing homosexuals- OK. A Pagan kid bashing a Christian- not OK. I don't agree with it, but that's how it works...
    Evansmommy91

Answer by Evansmommy91 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Oh, forgot to answer the question- yes, its bullying-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They are both wrong.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes it is bullying, from both sides.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:09 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't think it's bullying, but yeah, it's despicable and wrong...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:03 PM on Oct. 7, 2010