Who wants to make a difference after the election?

We need to band together no matter who gets elected we need to fight for the Mother's of children with special needs, and for Mommies who are struggling to put heat into their homes and food on the table, we need to fight to get paid maternity leave for our Mommies who want to stay at home longer without financially devastating our families, I mean there are thousands of us and from all corners of the world and if we let our voices be heard we can make a difference no matter who gets elected. If we work together in our separate states we can get legislation past thru our congress. I am a republican too and I want to make a difference as well, I vow to start in my community and in writing letters to our congress men, who wants to join me and who knows the first thing about getting this train moving forward. I don't want to just let whomever gets elected be responsible for our future. Help me ladies where do we start?

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 1:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I posted something like this a couple of weeks ago, Im sorry but no one wants to be positive right now. I totally agree with you. I think we should bring back "it takes a village" especially when so many moms dont have any one to lean on. But ya I am totally with you.
    We start by putting aside differences. Everyone has different views but that should never stop you from lending a hand. Voluteer, sorry babies awake
    perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 4:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well maybe I will post again after the election. I have never been this crazy or radical, I guess that's what internet does to you. But I want to turn my words into actions somehow after the election and I just have to find a couple Mommies willing to learn with me. We are so radical right now, we need to turn all this energy into something positive. Thanks for responding
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• We need to stop arguing with each other - we will never get anywhere unless we stop fighting,

Can you imagine if all woman joined together on a single cause. We could change the world.

Women have more power than we give ourselves credit for - we get distracted or lost and that leeds us to fighting each other and we get nowhere or end up further behind.

Is there one or two causes that we could all agree on? Or would we pick a cause and then argue about how to make a difference?
    lanckn

Answer by lanckn at 4:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Exactly Lanckn, what a huge difference we could make if we all could stand together.

Even though Obama supporters don't like Palin I think they could agree she has a good plan on how to assist families with special needs children, we just need to break it down and start working on each benefit.

The one that I would really like to see us band together on is a mandatory paid maternity leave for women who work fulltime that would like to take time off from work and get a portion of their wages, their should be some insurance a woman or the government could purchase that we could buy from the government that would allow us to get paid thru this policy our wages we are currently making and that way we don't financially devastate our families when we take off to have our babies.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• I know my explanation of that might have been a little wack but the idea is there. I think we all can agree on the needs and we just have to figure out real ways to get it into legislation.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 4:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• We won't, we had a chance of possibly getting a women for President. I only like her health insurance, but it would of got a womens foot in the door to make a difference, but as usual, we went in all directions. That is the way life is. I guess we can not complain for the treatment we get.
    Anonymous

• But why settle anon3:01pm? I mean really? If you support Obama and he gets in there and starts sidestepping on issues he promised what then? What if McCain gets elected and he blocks out what Palin's promising, I personally am not going to stand for it, damn it, let's make these guys accountable every step of the way. What they arn't doing let's step up and start bugging our congressmen and women on. Not a revolution just resolution I want to see that they do what they say. I don't want the end of their 4 year term be well didn't have time, they were too inundated with Bush's shit. Come girls there has to be someone who knows how to move politicians out there.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Ok I am stepping over here to make Obama Mama's feel welcome, this was a question he was asked after he wrote the book Audacity of Hope:  See I am looking for all perspectives.

Q: If readers are to come away from The Audacity of Hope with one action item (a New Year's Resolution for 2007, perhaps?), what should it be?

A: Get involved in an issue that you're passionate about. It almost doesn’t matter what it is--improving the school system, developing strategies to wean ourselves off foreign oil, expanding health care for kids. We give too much of our power away, to the professional politicians, to the lobbyists, to cynicism. And our democracy suffers as a result.

SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Writing to them, petitions, banding together and get press. Press thats it, if they get held accountable in the press can make a difference.
    I think us moms should band together to help all children, my son was considered special needs but we got him through the woods, I dont know if he will have problems later in life but for now he's ok. I thank heaven for all the wonderful people that supported me, If I didn't have the support I don't know how well HE would have done.

perksmom

Answer by perksmom at 5:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2008

• Well we have a group here in Great Falls, that is called leadership of great falls, and I was going to start their, try to meet some people that have a clue, I just have all of this passion inside me and I don't want it to go to waste. We all need to remember why we were so passionate during this election and keep those fires burning.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2008