Is this normal after Mirena?

I just had an IUD, mirena put in two days ago. I was feeling for the strings last night and they were up against my cervix, and while feeling for them i noticed cervix was open and I could feel the mirena pressing against it. I could even fit my finger inside the opening and feel the iud a bit, but I didn't try too hard because I was scared to mess move it out of place. When should my cervix close? Was is supposed to right after being inserted?

MJ_BN_FE

Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 9:12 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• It may not have been placed correctly. You shouldn't be feeling the tip of the IUD. I'm surprised the Mirena is still on the market with all the problems it causes. I would go back to the doc b/c not only could you get an infection, you can also wind up pregnant.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Keep your fingers out of there!! If your cervix is open you could be exposing yourself to infection!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I have the Mirena, but I have never checked my strings, so I have no idea! Sorry, hope you get it figured out.
    ejkmommy

Answer by ejkmommy at 9:13 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I didn't check mine that soon after because I was still bleeding. I would say when your dr's office opens, call them! I don't know if it might be an issue or not!
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 9:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my dr had me come back into the office after a month to check the position and I started checking the strings after that, My strings apparently arent as short as yours because they are not that far up there and I have never been able to feel the actual IUD, I think you should give your dr a call and have them check the placement. and definately dont check it again, you may be exposing yourself to infection.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yeah, thanks! that just accured to me after i posted this. But the dr actually told me to feel for the strings once a month and even when I got home so I would know how it was supposed to feel like. That way if it was to move out of place i would know how it would feel.
    MJ_BN_FE

Comment by MJ_BN_FE (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• now I've been feeling small sharp pains in my lower abdomen. Im wonderng if something is wrong. God I hope not! I don't have any options left for birth control other than the surgery, and I dont want that.
    MJ_BN_FE

Comment by MJ_BN_FE (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Oct. 7, 2010