Holloween

I do not know what to do about Holloween. I have this problem every year. My husband and his family love to dress up and be scary. I think it is bad to scare children. Now my 6 and 7 year old want to get involved with all the things of my husbands family and I don't like it. Do you think I'm being silly, or do I have a right to keep my children from being involved in their haunted and scary activities?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• instead of haunted and scary - could you go for cute and funny? just a thought ....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:26 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If the kids want to be involved in the scary activities and arent scared then why cant they participate, especially since its a family activity.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 9:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• As long as the kids don't have nightmares, I don't see any harm in it. Each kid is different. When my son was 6, we went over to his friend's grandma's house. She had a little haunted house for them. She turned off the lights and had a tape of noises and had them put their hands into bowls of stuff and guess what it was. It was all in good fun and fairly age-appropriate (I thought). When my son felt the peeled grapes in a bowl ("eyeballs"), he threw up. She felt terrible! I've learned that he is sensitive.

Halloween scary is a time for kids to act out their fears and laugh at them. It sounds like you are more sensitive than your husband and kids. So, stay home and hand out candy and let them go out trick or treating, or vice versa!
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 9:31 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• if its something they want to do then why not. I would be happy my child would want to do something like that instead of being a big pansy.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:41 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think that you are entitled to your opinion and you are entitled to voice it. However, if your children are 6 and 7 and they are wanting to join in, I don't think that he and his family are scaring little kids too badly. It sounds like they are holding the real scariness for the older kids and going pretty easy on the younger ones. I don't think it is going to hurt your kids to get involved in it at all.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Your opinion and your feelings are just that - yours. And you have every right to them. But also realize that your kids and DH have theirs as well. You might be worried about them being scared, but it seems like they like the idea. I would let them join in the scariness.

We don't encourage scary stuff around here, but my DD is addicted to it anyway. Some people just think it's fun and love the rush of the being frightened (which sounds about right for my DD.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:58 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Who cares if they like scary stuff. Why force them to be scaredy cats. Geeze..explain that is pretend and help them. My son was helping in a Haunted House at that age. He was watching scary movies by age three. He had a scary zombie Halloween costume in 2nd grade. He LOVED it all. At 14, he is still into it and loves it. Why deny time with family and force them to sit out because you don't like scary?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My daughter loves Halloween. She's 5. She has never requested a scary costume but if she did we'd let her wear it. She allowed top watch age appropriate scary movies too such as Scooby Doo.
    I really think as long as it is age appropriate and the kids want to do it you should let them.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:38 AM on Oct. 7, 2010