Do you and/or your family carve pumpkins for Halloween?

I was on another site and several people were commenting that they don't believe in carving pumpkins as it is 'wasting food'. We carve them every year and then put them in our compost pile. We also bake the seeds. When I cook with pumpkin I use canned. What is your view on this?
No bashing the holiday please, that's not what this is about.

Octobersmom

Asked by Octobersmom at 9:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Holidays

• We do, usually 7 - one for every member of the family. I don't consider it "wasting food," I don't think that carving pumpkins are really meant to be eaten anyway, they are decorative. (Maybe I'm wrong on that, but our local grocery stores sell "pie" and "carving" pumpkins.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Oh, and besides, I would be tempted to ask the person saying this to you this - "Is spending the time as a family, carving pumpkins, building memories, expressing creativity, and using your muscles to "power through" the pumpkin flesh as well as building fine motor skills with the shaping of the features really a "waste"?

If so, then what about the "waste" of flour making home made play dough, or the "waste" of vinegar coloring Easter Eggs, etc...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Not any more because my kids are college age now but i do use them in outdoor and indoor decorating. (I don't cook them after wards either)
    I'm one for convenience, it's canned pumpkin for me.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Our money is too tight to waste on carving a pumpkin, even if we use the innards for pie. We're going to make jack o'lanterns out of other things this year, following a cool idea I found online.
    trish2tew

Answer by trish2tew at 9:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes we do, and we don't roast the seeds either (no one here seems to really like them) and we don't consider it wasting food. It's all about fun for the kids, and spending time together as a family.

I also used canned pumpkin when baking.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 9:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• we do..my dh is getting a giant one on his way home tonight. I don't understand it being a waste?? i could find many uses for it.. pie, maybe a facial, you could have a pumpkin gut fight, ..imagine all the things you could do =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Of course. We have so much fun & I love to eat the pumpkin seeds. Yummy!
    KyKosMommy

Answer by KyKosMommy at 9:33 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We let our boys each pick a pumpkin every year... We then take it home, and they clean them out and carve them into what ever face they want on it.. As for wasting it, I don't think so,we throw them out in the compost pile, you can't make pies out of it anyway, unless it's the right type of pumpkin. As for the seeds, I think we will save them and plant our own pumpkins for next year.. Our son asked me if we would this year, and I think it's a good idea!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• No, we don't but it is not for the reason other people stated. I am accident prone and no good at carving. I let my son pick out his pumpkin and give him lots of markers and let him go at. For me then there is no chance of me accidently cutting myself. :)
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 9:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We do at least two every year. I just enjoy spending time with my son and having a good time
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010