What are your thoughts on getting a tummy tuck?

I am undecided, but my stomach looks like a 90 year old womans because it's so destroyed from only 1 pregnancy that was not twins. I am terrified of having surgery though.

So would you get one if you could?

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 9:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Health

• PAINFUL!! I had one after my first child because the c-section was reopened. I was told it was just going to be a scar revision and I ended up with a tummy tuck. Maybe that was what the intentions were all along but I don't remember the doctor specifically saying tummy tuck. He explained the procedure. Anyway, it was the most painful surgery I have ever had. I ended up with an infected hematoma and a strep wound infection and was back to square one with open wound and dressing changes. I had two more children after that. Even now, it looks pretty good I don't have stretch marks. I would get another one in a heartbeat, despite what I endured. I was active duty military so I think I was practiced on and that is why I ended up with a tummy tuck.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Do you only want one child? Because it will probably happen again, and it won't be repairable after one tummy tuck. And yes, I will be getting one. I have had four kids. I will say the skin did get better over the years, but eventually I'll have it done. It is a major surgery. I have watched it done on You Tube. Pretty crazy!!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Interesting question. I went to the surgeon recently for a different issue (a growth), and it looks like I am going to have to have abdominal surgery anyway, so I am considering doing the tummy tuck at the same time. It's the only part of my body I'm unhappy with after having 2 c-sections with LARGE babies. Anyway, the surgeon said the recovery time would be about the same whether I did only the growth removal VS the growth removal plus the tuck at the same time. I would already have paid for the anesthesia, and would already be planning on being bed-ridden temporarily, so I am seriously thinking about combining the 2 procedures. My only real hang-ups are 1) I don't want to have surgery, period, so I am procrastinating on doing anything at all 2) the cost. My insurance deductible is so high that it's going to cost a lot for the 1st procedure; the tuck would be totally out-of-pocket.
    I've got some big choices to make.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:28 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yup.

So thankful to have an aunt who is a plastic surgeon. I plan to get my stomach all fixed up after i have another baby.

My stomach is so sad it actually looks like a sad face.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I am not opposed to cosmetic surgery at all! There are things to consider though...can you afford it? If you can't, I wouldn't do it. I know someone who put their surgery on a credit card and it took a long time to pay it off. Also, are you going to have more kids? If so, I would just wait until you're done and then look into it. I hated my stomach too after my first child, but I found that Pilates classes at my gym, the classes where you use the big machines (reformers) did wonders on my abs. They're far from perfect, but much better than before. Good luck!
    jacksmom1225

Answer by jacksmom1225 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• no, i wouldn't - and believe me, i could use one - but, i've seen too many "mistakes" on tv that have happened on plastic surgeries or tummy tucks - i wouldn't get one, if i were you - if you and your s/o are happy with you, who else matters? and if your s/o isn't happy about your tummy, maybe he isn't happy about allot of other stuff about you - it might be time to sit down and think about your relationship - but - i'm thinking this is all coming from you - and that he loves you just the way you are - just give up the 2-piece swim suits - they make really cute one piece suits now....
    kaysimon132461

Answer by kaysimon132461 at 9:24 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yes I would and a breast lift too
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 9:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Yep I would if I could. After five kids and just recently having twins, my stomach is not what I'd like it to be. But I really just need to lose some more weight first to see how bad it really is!
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 9:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• If i needed to hell ya! but luckily i didn't get alot of stretch marks with 2 pregnancys and the scar from hip to hip kind of scares me. but i do have extra fat all over my mid area that won't go away even with a year and a half of dieting and exercise. so i want to get it lippo 'ed out lol maybe but some in my butt and boobs to give them some life again lol but i dont think i'll ever be able to afford it so i'll just keep dreaming
    Jhadens-Mommy

Answer by Jhadens-Mommy at 9:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Thanks for the replies ladies! I'm not planning on doing this, if at all, anytime soon because I'm not finished having children. Also- this has nothing to do with how my husband feels about how I look, he doesn't care what my stomach looks like.
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 10:20 AM on Oct. 7, 2010