Red Light Cameras?

What do you think of them? It's going to be on the ballot in our county in Nov. I'll be voting NO. I think it's nothing more than a way for the county to get more money.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We've had a few installed around town. They decrease the number of T-bone accidents (someone running a redlight hitting a car in the side), but increase the # of fender benders because people break suddenly when they see the light turn.

I know at least one that was taken down after a year because people stopped running red lights, and it cost more to maintain than they were making in tickets (something like 600k a year).

If you have any dangerous intersections or red-light runners, they are not a bad idea.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:40 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• To me I feel like they are the cheapest way to keep an eye out for those that are running the light because they don't have to hire as many officers. I can see how they would increase fender benders but decrease T-bones though.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 9:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've heard they actually cause more accidents because drivers stop short suddenly trying to avoid a ticket. I also think there is way too much of a possibility of conflict of interest. In many cases, the company's that install/maintain them earn money for every ticket issued. What's to stop them from setting the cameras to flash a fraction of a second sooner than they should,, thereby catching drivers who shouldn't be ticketed, just to make more cash?
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 9:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We have them and they do work- we have had a decrease in accidents at the intersections where they are installed. It feels kinda Big Brotherish, but in the end-they work and we have a safer community because of them.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I thought these were considered a violation of rights because there is no way to prove that the people driving the cars were the actual owners of the cars. We used to have some in my area and they got rid of them for this reason...people got tickets when they were not the ones driving. It must be up to individual states or counties.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They have them where I live and have been successful.
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 10:02 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree...it think there are a lot of benefits to cameras but i think they are a little too creepy for me.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:03 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They shoot right in your car as well..

and you are right, a way to get more ticket $$ with less officers...

They also help reduce accidents. While I don't love the idea, I am not opposed to it..

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:34 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I've never been a fan of surveillance. There's a yin and a yang for every program implemented. While it may reduce accidents or prevent red light runners, there's always the question of what the powers that be will do to the information they record. Will they be used in a court of law if a red light camera catches a cheating husband getting a BJ from his mistress? What if a mother reaches back to hand something to her child and the camera makes it look like she is smacking her kid? I think too much about what ifs, I know.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Love them they ... Keep them ..
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 10:59 AM on Oct. 7, 2010