Are Any of You Jehovah's Witnesses?

Just curious. I'm a Buddhist. The day after I brought my DS home from the hospital (he was in NICU for 2 weeks), a man came to the door. He was really kind, I explained my beliefs, we had a chat, end of story. The next month, he came with his wife, had a similar chat, and I thought I'd never see them again. It's been almost 3 years now, and every month I'm visited by the same lady, usually accompanied by different companions. I like them, we talk about the similarities/differences in religion, and we ask questions of each other.

It's almost a friendship that has developed, I enjoy our conversations, and I think I've been pretty clear that I'm not going to convert ever. So why do they keep coming back? Am I training ground for new people? Do they think I will convert? Just curious.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a JW.

So why do they keep coming back? They like you and your conversations.

Am I training ground for new people? I've never seen anyone as training ground. We do hope that people will turn to Jehovah.

Do they think I will convert? they are probably hoping so, maybe one day, but i've known people that were very sure about not wanting to convert but we would still go back because we really liked her and we always had great talks

You can ask them anything, they love answering questions.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• idk..maybe she likes taking new people door to door to show them how some people can be..she likes your door so she can show them how kind you are..maybe your neighbor though is the asshole who slams the door in their face?? idk i'm not one but i could see it being an experience for them
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I had a very similar relationship with some Jehova's in my old neigborhood. I am hindu & they were very fascinated by my beliefs. They never told me i was wrong, they just told me what they believed. They were super nice people. I would get excited when they came & make cookies & drink tea with them. We just developed a wonderful friendship. I moved though & i havent seen them since. GREAT people! At least those ones were. Last week, i had a guy come to my door warning me that i was going to hell...NOT a great way to start your "evangelizing"..lol!

Her name was Grace & she would come with different folks here & there. Some of them were kind of young, like teens. Nice, very well manered kids though.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think that they're hoping to try to convert people, but i also think that they know it's hard work & that if they just talk to people & try to be understanding...they are still doing their job good enough. I became friends with this lady. She never actually ASKED me to convert or anything like that. Strange i guess...but she WAS praying for me, that was cool & sweet of her.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:55 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sorry then lol.(PMSing today sorry!!!) They go door to door because it is in the bible to spread God's word. I was raised a JW, my mom still is and although I do not practice that religion I have a lot of respect for them and well after I had my DD out of wedlock and they welcomed her it made me feel great!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• LOL! Yeah...usually all i have to do is invite them im & when they see my Hindu statues, my alter & all the pictures hanging up...they practically think i am a demon! But, Grace did not...i really miss that lady! She was so open minded & i ignorantly believed before that, that jehova's were closed minded people. I learned a lot from this woman! She was so great!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:19 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• samurai, I know what you mean. There was one woman her nickname was Gay (it was childhood thing her great great grandpa called her because she was such a happy child) and OMG she really was happy ALL the time! She taught me so much and when I had my DD she came to see her first thing when I came home. They accepted myself and my DD no matter what. Just like this one girl who still goes who had a baby out of wedlock at 15 years old! She would go every Sunday while pregnant, with her newborn and now her DD is 13 years old and they still go!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:50 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I grew up JW. And I will tell you, unless you stress to them that you don't want them there, they don't stop coming. They believe that everyone is a prospect and that if they educate you enough you will eventually not be able to turn away from "the truth". I'm 27, I grew up being taught their faith, I didn't agree with it or follow it as a child, I rejected it as a teen and ran screaming from it as an adult... Yet, my family STILL makes a point to bring me copies of their Watchtower & Awake... They believe each conversation is a seed, and you never know which one will grow, so as long as you are willing and able to speak with them, they will keep coming... That's just how they are...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Maybe she likes your conversations as well. Maybe she is trying to teach others how to accept others and how much fun it can be to talk about beliefs even if they differ. You say you like it so why complain?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm not complaining at all - I was just curious. Like I said, I enjoy our talks. I don't know why they go door to door - and I'd feel bad asking her.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2010