For those of you who always asking about Transcribing..FROM ANOTHER SITE

I currently make $4-$600 a mth working 12 hrs a wk or so. Deadlines that you have to meet depend on what company you're working for or if you're freelancing. I've done some files where the deadline is "if you can get it to me yesterday I'd be grateful". I've also had the other extreme - "can you get it to me by the end of the month?" asked on the 3rd or 4th.
Transcriptionists that work approximately ful-time can make $20-40k+.
You're not going be in that higher range to start, though. It takes awhile to build up a portfolio of contracts w/ the right mix to keep you busy 8 hrs per day, 5 days a wk and you have to have some experience to get the higher rates of pay.
It also has a LOT to do with how quickly you can turn around an hr of audio. Generally speaking, you should count on it taking 4-6 hrs to transcribe 1 hr of audio as a newbie. You will quickly get faster as your typing speed builds learn trick of the trade

Happymom2-2

Asked by Happymom2-2 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Can you pm me with a link to that site?
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• me too
    patsymay84

Answer by patsymay84 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• It wasn't a site for info it was a question posted on another site, just like how people are always asking on here...so I thought I would share one person's honest response about it and how it is HARD to get going right now especailly...THey never listed any companies at all
    Happymom2-2

Comment by Happymom2-2 (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Happymom - I've done a TON of research on "work at home" jobs in the last few years, as I would like that to be my ultimate goal. The problems that arise with transcription jobs is that you have to have the equipment for it - foot pedals, transcription software, etc. Most legit companies will request that your typing skill is at or abve 70 WPM, and that you be at or above 10,000 ksph. Also, there are proper procedures for transcribing, lots of different lingo, etc. Medical transcription is something you need exclusive training for, but it pays the best, where as general transcription doesn't pay as well, but they still want you to have experience.
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• THANKS YOU!!! so much for adding, I do not transcribe...As my understanding is it is becoming obsolete anyway, I ws just putting this out there from someone who had answered another persons question on the subject and it was kind of detailed so I thought I would share...Besides it is not TRUE working for yourself, which is the hearts desire..at least for me,
    I do have a WAHM business that I do PT from home, and we do the the top credentials one can find witha LONG history and NYSE strong trading, I make FT income and put in roughly 20 hours a week.
    Happymom2-2

Comment by Happymom2-2 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Oct. 7, 2010