Westbro Vs. Soliders Funeral

Where do you think SCOTUS is going to go with this?

Yesterday's arguements were interesting.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20101007/UPDATES01/101007020/1005/NEWS01/Supreme+Court+struggles+with+free+speech+question

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 10:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Again we come back to this: having the right to do something doesn't mean you are right to do it.

No one disagrees that Westbro has the right to their free speech. But the soldiers' families deserve a peaceful funeral. I think duckigrrl has a reasonable compromise. Westbro has to limit their prostests to a reasonable distance from the funeral, much like pro-life groups must stay so many feet away from the doors of an abortion clinic. They can still have their voice; the families can still have their funeral. I'd rather Westbro go back and re-read their Bibles and try to figure out where they get the Biblical authority to act like this, but I can't mandate they do that, so I'd settle for this.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Fred Phelps is a disbarred lawyer..who was disbarred for ETHICAL REASONS

and now a preacher...seems like that might matter to his congregation....

This case isn't about free speech, its provocation and harassment.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Westbro needs to burn down. I'm sorry, but they are just worthless excuses for humans and are taking away valueable oxygen
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The Supreme Court will most likely side with Westboro on premise of free speech. (the one time they actually remember we have that right.). I have no problem with those sorry people exercising that right -- as long as it is not at a funeral. I dont care if the person was the most despised person on earth, not even his mama could stand him. The deceased's family deserves respect during their time of grief. You want to call yourself a church and protest soldiers, fine. Do it at least a half mile down the road. Whatever happened to common decency? Sorry for the soap box, this one just gets under my skin.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Westboro are scum... However, If the SCOTUS awards in the families favor~ this is going to open a whole new can of worms in defining Free Speech. Very fine line indeed...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• They are such awful people :( Like the Taliban and other terrorists- they claim to do God's work... but we all know better. God is good. What must God think of these lunatics?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 10:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Its a very fine line.... I can see how difficult a decision it must be. In order to protect our own free speech, where should the line be drawn? I do agree that the WBC is a group of vile, hateful, bigots who spew nothing but hate, and I do wish they would stop, but when it comes to freedoms, we have to be careful not to make any policies that could negatively effect others.... So its a very difficult task, trying to decide what to do in this situation, and I'm quite glad that it doesn't fall on my shoulders....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:56 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The thing with free speech is that it can't infringe on another's rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", correct? I think this should be a lot simpler than bureaucratic process is making it. They are infringing on people's right to have a peaceful ceremony to say goodbye to their loved ones... and thus happiness. It's common sense for a common morality! Our "rights" were never meant to be abused this way, so we need to learn to bend them a little!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 11:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I agree with zaky!

Answer by older at 10:17 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Those people are so disgustingly hateful that it boils my blood to think about them...and watching them on tv is even worse.
    art.diva

Answer by art.diva at 10:21 AM on Oct. 7, 2010