For farmers or ladies from rural/farming families (or whoever wants to weigh in)

*sigh*. Is it against some unspoken farmer code of ethics to break up farm ground and sell it off in lots for a subdivision? I'm trying to work through my feelings of resentment here, and am wondering how justified they are.
This is happening to my family. The farmer who owns the ground behind us is doing this. They have offered for years to buy the ground behind ours. He assured them he had no plans of selling it. Now he is selling it. They offered him 10k/acre, what some of the neighbors paid for his ground behind their place. But now he wants 25k/acre. He wants to sell it for lots. He told my parents for years he wouldn't do that!
I know it's his land, and he can do with it as he pleases, but it all just seems wrong. I'm not talking legally (believe me, we checked- no zoning laws here), just ethically. It seems like a violation of some unspoken code for a well-to-do farmer to sell his ground for lots, thereby

sfwilson

Asked by sfwilson at 10:04 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I lived in the country for 20 years. Our community saw this kind of thing going on in the town next to ours. The schools are now over crowded etc. We did not want that for our town and schools. We passed an ordinance where you had to have a minimum of 20 acres to build, and we zoned ourselves against sub-divisions. I have no problem with sub-divisions, but if I wanted to live in one, I would not have bought a house in the country. American farm land is a dying breed. I am all for saving it if and when I can.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:11 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Unfortunately, times are tough for farmers. (4 of my uncles are dairy farmers). If he is able to get a premium for his property, I would be happy that he is able to do well for himself. You don't know his circumstances, I wouldn't begrudge him.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:07 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• cont., putting a subdivision in someone else's backyard :(
    sfwilson

Comment by sfwilson (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would be mad too. I'm close to farmland, and want to purchase a farm in a few years....and be off the grid as much as possible. And that's a big reason why many live off the land and have farms. So, I would be ticked at the idea of new houses being built in my yard. At the same time perhaps the farmer realizes it's the best way to make money for retirement....I know farmers don't make a heck of a lot for the amount of work they put in (but I also know it's not about the money in most cases) and perhaps he didn't save for the future and now he's in panic mode.

I don't know, perhaps see if you and other neighbors can sit down and talk with him. Perhaps as a group you can purchase some of this land, make him happy and keep the land as it was meant to be.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• We are down to 12.6 acres of our family farm since our parents have passed.... We split it up and our neighbors didn't complain. It's no ones business what we did with the land... I think you need to just let it go, it's not your land, or your place to tell them what to do..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:10 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• The county next to ours has zoning laws saying you must buy 40 acres to build a house! I so wish our county was on that! But we have nothing.
    sfwilson

Comment by sfwilson (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• As a farmer family ourselves ........ times are really tough right now. The price of fuel is still high and the prices of milk is way low. Its hard to break even let alone make a profit. He may have no other choice than to sell some of his assets just to keep the farm going. A farm may look like its doing good but the bank pretty much owns and cotrols everything. You may not like what he is doing but he is probably doing whats best for his family and his farm. You would probably do the same if you needed too.
    TallChic

Answer by TallChic at 10:16 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My family is in farming too, and we've been around here for almost 200 years, with mostly the same families around us. So I feel like we DO know everyone's situation, you know? And I really think he's just seeing $$$.
    sfwilson

Comment by sfwilson (original poster) at 10:22 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• When we built our home, we were in the country. There are now houses on three sides of us. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. It is called progress, I guess. Thankfully, we can still look out our back door and enjoy our country scenery, but that's only because we own that property.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010