My son hates having his toe nails clipped...

He will let me clip his fingers but his toes are horrible! He just cries and screams and says it hurts. He is three and has never liked it, but honestly they can only go so long before they have to be trimmed!! I try to do it after a bath so they are soft. What are some tricks to make it not so bad?

khedy

Asked by khedy at 10:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My oldest daughter is almost 4 and she FLIPS out every time I try to get her toes. She kicks and screams and tries to run away. We used to sneak into her room at night and trim them while she was sleeping, but now that we have a 9 month old in there, we can't really do that anymore. Now what I do is trim her fingers and show her how that doesn't hurt, then I show her how I do my own toes, and even one of Daddy's toes, and then I ask her if she can help me with hers. For some reason, it works like a charm because she always wants to be a big girl!!!!
    Patesmom

Answer by Patesmom at 11:30 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• mine is 6 and he still hates it....I would like a tip as well!
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 10:44 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Most children don't like having their nails clipped. I don't think you should use tricks on him. Just tell him it is something that has to be done, and the more cooperative he is, the less time it will take.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:45 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• My son HATES it!! You should see them right now. It is so embarrassing. I sneak into his room and try to do it when he is sleeping, but he always wakes up. I used to do my older son's when he was sleeping.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:51 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• my dd 3 hates her toes bein clipped too. ive told her that we have to or her toes will hurt more but usually half the time while im clippin them shes says "ow that hurts". idk what it is. my sd 7 doesnt mind it sometimes. idk what it is
    JasminesMommy06

Answer by JasminesMommy06 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010