How do you get your kids to give up old toys & declutter?

beeluvin

Asked by beeluvin at 10:47 AM on Oct. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• We have just made it a habit of going through the toys together every couple months or so. My kids are really good at getting rid of stuff. Sometimes I have to compromise with them but usually they are pretty willing. I think if you start this young then you dont have to sneak doing it. I think it is important for kids to be a part of this.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 12:07 PM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I don't. When they are sleeping I go through the toys and get rid of whatever they don't play with. They never notice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:49 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I tell them that if they want to get new toys for Christmas/birthdays, they need to get rid of the older stuff that isn't played with anymore. Works well for my girls- my son tends to cling to things a lot harder but this does help him to give things up because he always has new things he would like to have! We give a lot of it to Goodwill, and they like the idea of giving toys to kids who don't have as much as they do.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:08 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I would go through the toys when they are asleep and take out the old, but keep them for a while in case they miss one. I used to take part of my kids toys and put in a box in a closet, then rotate toys from time to time. The toys that had been stored for a while were like new to them.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• i sneak and do it too
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I just put it in bags and take them to goodwill, give them away, or throw them away. Of course, I am sneaky about it when I throw it away. I gave a lot of their books to the school.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:54 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I'm in the majority here, I sneak them when they are not looking.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 11:00 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I think the better question (for me, anyway) is "How do I convince my husband to let me throw out my son's old toys?" I swear, he's more attached to them than our son.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 11:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• Sometimes I will go through stuff when they are at school then decide if I need to get rid of it or to donate.
    BRANKELSHAIL

Answer by BRANKELSHAIL at 11:27 AM on Oct. 7, 2010

• I only get rid of toys that are broken. I will organize the toys when they arnt home. But I am a total control freak so I like to do things myself.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 11:36 AM on Oct. 7, 2010