how do you deal with someone who is constantly putting down your faith and saying negative things about what you believe in?would the way you handle them change if they were some one close to you?

my sister and i are very close,however everytime i talk to her about anything she bashes what ever i say and say's she don't believe in "that" and my way of thinking is all around religin and that's why she won't go to church because she don't want to think like me or base her life around the bible like i do,but the thing is i'm not overly religious it's just
certain things i won't say or do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jul. 2, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• learn the Serenity prayer:

God Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

You can't change your sister, but you can change how you react to her... It's about letting God and letting God....
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:45 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• The quickest way to start a tiff between two people is to voice your opintion about religion and politics. There are no reasons to talk about subjects if you already know how that the other feels . People make choices about their lives and who are we to try to change them It only hurts the feels and we would'nt want them doing it to us......God does not judge....be sweet and let it go ...best wishes
    bunco

Answer by bunco at 11:56 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• dont talk about religion with her.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 11:57 PM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Just love her. IF she is responding in anger for no reason, be sure to respond back to her in love. Avoid the sensitive subjects and be an example of Christ to her in how you live and in your responses to her. If she's putting you down because you won't do certian things that you view as wrong, then I would wager a guess that she's feeling guilty about those same issues in her own life.
    Alyssia3777

Answer by Alyssia3777 at 9:51 AM on Jul. 3, 2008

• sometimes its better to agree to disagree. if she feels strongly against it. try to avoid the subject with her.I have to do that with my family all the time. and in time the subject of religion does not come up. maybe she sees your faith is strong. and is testing you.
    Alizure

Answer by Alizure at 12:05 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Well it just makes you stronger in your faith. Im sure we both have different ideas of faith. You should talk to that person and say look i understand we have to different views but honestly does it need to go this far. Help me to understand your beliefs so then you keep an open mind ok. Then if that person is still a jerk i think you should just walk away and dont turn back. Tell her to stop asking you for advice.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• When people feel like that around you, it may be that they are feeling convicted of a need to change, not so much you personally. I think it is ok to say, "Will you accept me the way I am sister?" I say that, because my brother, the atheist, said this to me at one point and I realized what he must be feeling like. From that day on, I eliminated the church, Christian talk and invitations from our conversations. Anyway, like Mother Theresa, I subscribe to this statement: "Witness always, speak when necessary." Necessary is much less often than not.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 1:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Agree to disagree. Respect her decision to NOT believe and avoid talking religion or lack of. She has made it clear she doesn't want you witnessing to her so stop.
    Anonymous

• ok who said she was witnessing? you need to learn how to read ms.ANONYMOUS!
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 6:18 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Maybe you can explain to her she can disagree without being disagreeable. It doesn't sound like you are forcing your religion on her, just talking about life. Of course if you are religious and she is not, your lives have different aspects to them. She can learn to listen to what you say without bashing.
    handsomebabyj

Answer by handsomebabyj at 7:53 PM on Jul. 3, 2008